Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Weight Loss Woes Wednesday or....How fat am I???

Before I even start this post, let me say that I love my mother dearly.  She has been gone for four years now and I still miss her very much.  She suffered from Alzheimer's Disease for over ten years and it was very painful for us all.  My mother, in her right mind, would never intentionally say something hurtful to one of us.  But the following story, while seeming less so at the time, was still so very funny.

I had had a baby maybe a month before, and I was still wearing some baby weight and also still somewhat stretched out.  But I wasn't huge, OK?  At least I didn't think so, until this shopping trip with my mother.  We were looking for a dress for an occasion, maybe the baby's baptism?  I don't remember.

We walked toward the dress department and I said (being only 5 ft tall), "Where are the petite sizes?"  My mother somehow had never quite gotten the idea that petite sizes are for short people.  She always seemed to think they were for "small" people.  (as in thin)

Her response?  "Well, we're looking for a dress for YOU, not for me."  (My mom was always very slim.)  I looked at her.  "There are petite sizes that fit me, Mom."

We found the petites and looking through the dresses she says, "I don't see much with elastic waists."  I look at her again.  "Why.  are you looking for an elastic waist?"  Mom says, "Oh.  I just thought you might find that more comfortable."  Now I'm annoyed.  "I'm not looking for an elastic waist."

Finally, we find a few dresses to try.  I put the first dress on.  I kind of like it.

Mom says:  "Oh, don't worry honey.  You'll lose all that weight."

Me:  I say sarcastically,  "All that weight, Mom??!!  I kind of like this dress."
(with her Alzheimer's Disease she doesn't get it.

Mom:  "Well remember you just had a baby."

Me:  " I KNOW I JUST HAD A BABY."

I try on another dress.

Mom:  (With her Alzheimer's she doesn't remember what has just been said.
"You'll lose all that weight, honey.  Don't worry."

Me:  "I'M NOT WORRIED, MOM."

Mom:  "Well, remember you just had a baby."

Me:  "I haven't forgotten about the baby, OK Mom?"

I try another dress.

Mom:  "Too bad we're not in Virginia.  You could borrow a dress from Cousin Elaine."

The relative she was speaking about, I thought, was at least two or three dress sizes bigger than I was.  I look at her in complete disbelief.

Me: "WHAT??????!!!!"

Mom:  "Well, remember you just had a baby."

I'm staring at her now with an icy stare.  There's a minute or two of silence.

Mom:  "Don't worry, honey, you'll lose all that weight."

Me:  Through clenched teeth I say,  "I'm not worried, Mom.  Let's go home."

As soon as she had left I called my sister Maryanne.

"All right, HOW FAT AM I?"  I practically yelled in the phone.

Maryanne:  "What are you talking about?"

I tell her the whole story.  She is rolling on the floor laughing.

Me:  "Then she tells me maybe I could borrow a dress from Cousin Elaine.  Am I fat enough to wear one of her dresses????????"

Maryanne can't even speak.  She's laughing so hard I don't think she could even breathe.  Finally she says, "NO.  NO, you're NOT!!!"

Me:  "You're lying.  I really am, aren't I.  Because Mom has Alzheimer's she's telling me the truth.  She has no inhibitions."

Maryanne can't talk.  She's gasping for breath.  She's dropped the phone.  Finally she says, trying to get the words out clearly,  "No.  No. You are NOT that fat.  You really are not.  I can't believe she said that."  

More paroxysms of laughter from us both

Me:  "Are you sure?  Are you telling me the truth?" (I still had my doubts)

She's lost it again.  It's several minutes before she can speak again.

Maryanne: "You really are not.  Honestly.  You are not that fat.  You could not wear one of her dresses....... And remember you just had a baby......(I'm gasping)   Just kidding," she says.

While I laughed with her, I still kind of wondered......
 And I did, eventually, lose "all that weight!!!!"

(Course, I've also put most of it back on, but that's another story....

13 comments:

Melissa said...

OH how painful. To have to watch your mom go through that and to have to sit there and listen to that.
I am very sensitive about my weight, espescially since i did have a baby... I mean... 8 months ago. But I still can't shake the weight. I don't know how I would handle my mom telling me that.

Rosemary said...

After the initial shock, m of d, I actually thought it was more funny than anything else. teehee (If I had taken it more seriously maybe I wouldn't have gained a lot of it back.)

Kellan said...

Oh, your sweet mom - how funny! I started cracking up when I got to, ""I haven't forgotten about the baby, OK Mom?" - funny story.

Have a good day - Kellan

Anonymous said...

First of all let me start by saying that Rose IS petite! And to me, she looks petite in size as well as height!

Rose, I had a similar relationship with my dad, and he didn't even have the excuse of Alzheimer's!

I had preeclampsia (sometimes called toxemia) when I was pregnant with Teddy, and I gained 100+ pounds. I never lost that weight (and gained even more). I tried every plan/diet/drug, and nothing worked for long. I would struggle to lose 20 pounds and be quite proud of myself.

One vacation Teddy and I flew to my parents' house in Florida. My mom knew I'd been dieting and was all complimentary. The very first words out of my dad's mouth were, "Man, are you FAT!" Mr. Sensitive he wasn't! But I loved him just the same.

As Rose knows, I finally have my weight under control -- I'm five weeks past gastric bypass and feel fantastic. When I get to Heaven and see my dad, I wonder what his first words will be???

Ruthann

Jean Heimann said...

LOL! I can definitely relate, Rosemary, as my mom also had Alzheimer's.

Suzanne said...

Rosemary,
You know my mom had this too. My mom was a tiny little thing. She didn't talk much about weight then, but we had quite a few very weighty (well over 250 lbs.) women on my Dad's side. They were short like me. My mother feared us girls following suit to that. Although none of us got to
that point and I don't think we will now, it worried her. BEFORE the disease, she was always hounding us to not eat too much.
Unfortunately, after I got married,
I felt underfed (lol) and I just plain have not watched myself enough. I am overweight some too now and had lost alot before. Well, its still possible and it could be much worse...like those other women in my family. Well, now, back to the red grapes! :) Suzanne

Are You Serious! said...

♡ Oh, that was so fun to read! That would be terribly difficult to deal with though! My husbands grandpa has been dealing with that for 15 some odd years and it's getting really bad now!

Loved your story though! :)

Sarah - Kala said...

This must have been tough, but I like how you are still laughing about it . . . and letting us laugh along!

Rosemary said...

Kellan, thank you.
Ruthann, you are so sweet. I think he's going to say,"Man are you thin!" You're doing so well. It's fun to see you because each time you're smaller.
Jean and Suz,. Alzheimers is HARD, isn't it'
Areyouserious, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It really was a scream, even then. Sorry to hear of your husband's grandpa.

Kitchen Madonna said...

My mom was talking like this to me when I was a skinny teenager! No babies. Just telling me to cover it all up! Which I appreciate now but come on...I was a beanpole.

I'm not now and I just started Weight Watchers...we'll see...I know I'm walking on the "dark side" with all this low-fat stuff but...we'll see.

Rosemary said...

Good luck, KM. I have lost a lot of weight with weight watchers. My problem now is getting motivated to do it. Curious how some moms are a little irrationally obsessed with weight.

McMommy said...

Oh my goodness!!! I bet you were typing that through TEARS because you were laughing so hard!

Thanks for stopping by and playing POW!

Rosemary said...

Thanks for hosting, Mcmommy (love your name.) It was fun.