Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Priestly Formation

Gerald Augustinus brings the following to our attention. www.closedcafeteria.blogspot.com
I've added the address because I don't seem to be getting the link to work.


New document on priestly formation

It can be
found on the USCCB website
. Here
excerpts from the 98 page
document - on, for errm, obvious reasons on
sexuality


"A
candidate must be prepared to accept wholeheartedly
the Church’s teaching on
sexuality in its entirety,.....



I guess I should be encouraged that this is spelled out as an expectation for candidates to the priesthood. Perhaps it is an indication of my naivete that I am astonished that it should need to be said. Not that I don't understand that there are many currently ordained priests that clearly do not wholeheartedly accept the Church's teachings on human sexuality-- or at least one suspects so by certain hints.... silence in the face of great confusion by the faithful, etc.

This sentence is not at the beginning of the document. Why not? I would expect that a man would not even be admitted to a seminary unless, in an initial interview, he asserted agreement with all of church teachings. Is there so much corruption in the seminaries that this is not the case?? Is faithfulness to the magisterium not even a prerequisite for admission to a seminary? Perhaps this is just to emphasize that faithfulness is indeed expected. Still, I wish this statement were a little more front and center.....

No comments: