Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Football injuries

My son Jim, an in-coming freshman in high school has joined the junior varsity football team. Neither of my two older sons played high school football so this is a new thing for me. (I might actually have to learn the rules for football :).

My concern is that football seems to be a sport where there are a lot of injuries. Jim is not a huge guy. Fortunately, he's very, very fast-- and that's without some 200 pound guy chasing him. Maybe he can just run like crazy and never get tackled? And there I'll be screaming, "Run for your life!" if he gets the ball.

Is football a dangerous sport to play? I guess I'll just keep praying for his protection. You can get hurt doing almost anything, right?

4 comments:

Lori said...

My son has played football since 4th grade. We have lucked out and he only had one injury. He was hit in the ribs and we thought he broke them. Thankfully, not broken just bruised.

I worry about it. I tell him he can quit anytime! But, he loves it so I also PRAY!!

We have seen some other players on the team have some pretty nasty injuries. Doctors claim soccer is much worse, however. For one thing they don't have all the padding.

Anonymous said...

Rose, you're right, ANY activity is potentially hazardous to one's health -- even drama! Teddy cut his finger on a table saw during set construction for Beauty and the Beast and had to have a tetanus shot and two prescriptions. What's a mother to do?

Mimi said...

I have to admit, I shy away from my kids playing football - although the issue really hasn't come up either - my oldest isn't athletic, and my youngest prefers baseball and basketball (as of now anyway).

But, like everything, prayer, good health, and adhering to safety guidelines are the key!

Hugs and enjoy watching the games.

Rosemary said...

Lori, yeah, I'll keep praying. He likes it a lot.

Ruthann, how true, Mike once had a piano fall over on his hand at drama and had to have stitches. By the way, in my previous post about kids and manners your son was one of the fine examples I was talking about. (You probably knew that, if you read it :) You're doing a great job.

Mimi, thanks, I hope to enjoy the games.