Friday, August 29, 2008

Suzanne of Suzanne's Daily Dance has just stopped homeschooling for the first time in a very long time. Having been there I can tell you that this is a huge transition. Suzanne is feeling frazzled with this dramatic change. Her daily activities are suddenly going to be quite different. She has written on her blog about this change and has asked some questions to help sort things out. Maybe others would like to answer these questions too.

You know, you all could help me...I wonder..how does some of your plans go? Such as...how do you start your days, when do you do this or that chore each day or week?
When do you blog...after this or that is done? How often do you exercise? Do you cook certain things on certain days of the week? Do you do your kids laundry or what chores do you expect from them, esp. since mine isn't used to homework and I don't believe it is good for any of them to assume mom will always do this or that...do you just ask them to do some of those laundry jobs sometimes.. or what? Do you ask if you can help them with homework or just wait until they ask.
OK. Suzanne, here are my answers.

How do I start my days? Usually with coffee or tea and rushing to get out the door to get the kids to school on time. I pray either before I get out of bed. (I sit up and pray from my Magnificat.) Or, sometimes I pray when I get back home from the driving. If I don't get my prayer time in early it's hard to do it later. I try to get to Mass several times during the week.

When do I do certain chores? I throw laundry in the washer whenever I can (no schedule). I fold it when I get the chance. I grocery shop when we're out of enough things. (no schedule) I do dishes every day. Vacuuming and other cleaning usually happens on Saturdays with the kids help.

When do I blog? I usually allow myself an hour, either early in the morning (like right when I get home after taking the kids to school) or late at night. In between, if I have 5 or 10 minutes I will check other blogs and respond to comments.

Do I cook certain things on certain days of the week? Nope. I cook whatever I can put together from what we've got. We usually have a vegetarian dinner on Fridays.

How often do I exercise? I try to go to Curves at least twice a week but, honestly, it's been a long time since I have gone twice a week regularly.

Do my kids do laundry or chores? Jim (16) and John (18) do their own laundry. I do it for the younger kids. They all do chores. Often they do the dishes. No schedule. I just ask whoever has the time to do it. On Saturdays they have assigned chores like cleaning a bathroom, vacuuming, cutting the grass, etc.

Usually I help with homework only if they ask. But sometimes I bring it up by asking how it's going (especially when they're first starting school.)

Everybody's routine is probably different. I know some people are much more organized than I am. I have to readjust my schedule so frequently that it helps me to stay real flexible.

I think it's the unfamiliarity of the new schedule that makes it feel kind of unnerving. But it passes. And a new peace will come.

Suzanne, may the peace that surpasses all understanding be yours.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Good morning! I am once again most surprised at how alike we are in many areas. I suppose just the very fact that we were homeschoolers for quite awhile, along with our Catholic Faith background and age, it would make sense. I was most sure you had a particular day for a particular chore..such as grocery shopping, etc. I don't feel nearly as discombobulated now! I do spend more time on the computer, I think, though. I need to stop that and I feel I will..I did before. One thing more...are you involved at the parish level very much and do you volunteer at the schools to help out much? I am kind of making myself "on-call" available at Shane's school, as I need to be involved, I believe. I appreciate your sharing with me and I hope I didn't take you away from something else you wanted to blog about today. I'm off to Mass soon..this morning! :) That is a real blessing, isn't it?

Sarah - Kala said...

Suzanne - I will post about this on my blog some time today or this weekend so you have my take on this stuff. Sorry I've neglected to do so (even though I have been meaning to). It is helpful what Rosemary said. It's nice to know how our friends cope with all this!

The number one thing for me: start the day with prayer (and coffee) as soon as possible. For some reason, God's my gear changer and my days starting with prayer just run smoother.

Sarah - Kala said...

Oh, btw, Rosemary, I have an award for you at my blog. :-)

Lyndsie Miles said...

I think my day is quite a bit differnt at this stage of the game... my question is when and how to I start having my little ones do assigned chores? I have them help me throughout the day, but it is still mainly me doing everything.