Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Family Home

The good news?  I think we've finally sold my father's house.

The bad news?  The new owners plan to tear it down and build a bigger house on the lot.  This is what happens in Birmingham pretty regularly.  The land itself is so valuable that the smaller homes just get eaten up.  The people want the land and they want a BIG house.  There's nothing wrong with my parents' house.  It's solid.  I guess it's over 50 years old.  It doesn't look all that up-to-date.  But it's structurally sound and it served our family well.

I was there today.  We have emptied quite a bit of it now.  Some of my mother's sweet and lovely furniture is now in my living room.

But when I go in that house it still feels like home.  It's so full of memories.

A large portion of the flower bed in the front has all the dirt turned over.  I guess that was from the property inspection.  They wanted to inspect the property to make sure there were no buried oil tanks or something.  They aren't even inspecting the house itself.  I remember the impatiens my mother used to plant in that bed.

I went in to my mother's bathroom with the pink wallpaper, thinking about how the cute little room would soon be crushed by bulldozers.

In the kitchen closet I found some little thanksgiving figures, little pilgrims-- the kind of things my mother would have on the table on holidays.  I wrapped them up to bring home.

The house was so quiet, so empty.  The warm childhood memories seemed to slip further and further into the past, emphasized by the occasional spider or cobweb.

I'm feeling a little weepy.  I remember how so many of my blogging friends were such a support in my father's last days and after his passing.

When I go back I will take some pictures to share with you.

God bless.

10 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

My heart aches with you!

Suzanne said...

Rosemary,
I want to hug you right now. I sure wish I could. I actually live in the last home my parents lived in. I have a few furnishings. Still, this is not the homes I grew up in, which were (2) others, but I sit at the table in my kitchen covered with a flowery tablecloth...the table used to be my mom and dad's fancy dining room table and it has a leaves that fold down, so it sits up against the wall with one leaf folded down and its like a half moon shape. I sit on the end where I sat one day having lunch over here with my mom before she lost almost all memory of whom I seemed to be. She asked me.."Would you like your bread toasted?" (For my sandwich) She always asked that cause we usually liked it that way..we had a nice conversation..she was happy to have me over for lunch. So, I sit in that spot and remember.....
Just make sure you sit on those furnishings in your home ... sometimes and just remember...
love you, my friend. :)

Mimi said...

Sigh. Love and hugs, I know how difficult this is, I saw my mom go through it. Take lots, and lots of pictures, and put them in a small scrapbook with your memories, it will be so welcomed.

And, may your dear parents' Memories be Eternal.

Kitchen Madonna said...

May an angel of consolation visit you and soon Rosemary.

Sarah - Kala said...

Suzanne- what wonderful ideas. My parents are still with us (even though we are separated by the vast U.S.). I was looking through my wedding album not too long ago and just teared up and sniffed a lot when I came across the photo of my hubby and me with my grandfather. He passed away on Christmas Day 2000. Anyway, the cheering thought: we gave him his first greatgrandchild (and it was a boy!!)

Melissa said...

oh I hope you are okay. It would be hard to see the house go.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Praying for consolation for you. I am sorry that your childhood home will be nothing but a memory.

EC Gefroh said...

Oh Rosemary, that must have been so hard for you!!!

hugs,

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh Rosemary,
I’m so sorry. It is just so hard to see something where so many memories were made disapear and be replaced. I remember when someone purchased my grandparents home and gutted the entire house and yard. The yard was beautiful, perfectly soft and level grass, beautiful trees, shrubs, flowers and a perfect garden area. They tore it all up and put either cement, rocks, or ugly decorative grasses. They “zeroscaped” it. It is still hard to drive through the neighborhood and see that how it changed.
But I love the sweet memories and pictures. I would love to see some pictures and here some memories from the home you grew up in. There is so much beauty in sharing memories.
With Love,
Lyndsie

Anonymous said...

Rosemary I wish I could just reach into this laptop screen and give you a real-life hug.

I don't think i could ever knock down one house to build another unless there were structural reasons for doing so. It just seems like an immoral waste of money.

Of course, for you this isn't about money, you are understandably distressed and I am so very sorry for you. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.