Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Feast of the Assumption


Mary, our mother, Happy Feast Day!

Happy Feast of the Assumption!!!
(For those of you who are not Catholics..this is what is called a Solemnity, and a Holy Day of Obligation in the Catholic Church-- that means we are obligated by church law to go to Mass today.)

I wear a scapular.  I love Our Lady.  I don't worship her (as all you Catholics know,)  but I honor her as the mother of my Savior.

When I was in the hospital recently I was reminded of another time I had been there with an irregular heart rhythm.  At that time I almost took my scapular off.  ( How stupid would that have been??!!) I was worried about what people would think (as they put EKG electrodes on my chest.)  I was afraid they would think I was a fanatic.  I felt very bad about this impulse afterwards, although I did not actually take it off.

This more recent ER visit, by God's grace, I felt completely different.  I didn't think at all about what people would think.  I didn't even care.

Instead, as I was being prepared for a treadmill test and the technician was navigating her wires around the scapular, I decided to bring it up.  I touched the scapular ribbon and asked, "Is this in your way?"  She said, "No, it's fine."  

I asked, "Are you Catholic?"  She smiled and said, "No."

I said, "Well, it's a scapular.  It's a devotion to Mary.  And If I'm going to die today I want to be wearing it."

Laughing she said, "Well, let's not call on her today, OK?  I don't think we're going to be needing her today."

I said, "I hope not."  And we both laughed again.

She was a sweet young woman, clearly not anti-Catholic.  May God bless her (through the intercession of his Blessed Mother)!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning at 8am, not realizing it was the Feast of the Assumption (not even knowing it was the 15th either...) and I had a small nudging in my heart to go to 9am Mass... I'm embarrassed to say, I ignored it because I 'had too much to do today before we leave for our trip this afternoon'....then I found out on someone's blog at 10:15 that it was the Assumption! It was too late to go to Mass though...
Sadly, it's not a day of obligation for Catholics in Canada.
The only one we have here is New Year's Day.
Wimps, these Canadians!

Maybe I'll remember next year...

I wear a scapular just like yours.

Mimi said...

Happy Feast Day.

Suzanne said...

I wear a scapular too and I'm wearing it more and more. Mine was blessed by a very special Franciscan of the Immaculate Friar and he also touched them to a piece of cloth that he had from St. Francis of Assisi! I feel very close to it and yet sometimes it isn't on, but not often anymore. :)

Kitchen Madonna said...

Happy Feast Day too! And I had major abdominal surgery (2001) with mine wrapped around my ankle and hidden by the socks they let me wear on my footies!

Rosemary said...

Alexa, we've had a lot of obligatory holy days deleted too. just on a yearly basis--- like if it falls on a Monday. Teehee. guess we can't be trusted to go to Mass two days in a row.
Thanks, Mimi.
Suzanne, how special.
KM. LOL. I think that counts!!! Good idea.

Sarah - Kala said...

KM's stealth Catholicism at it's best! ha, that made me laugh!!