Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Shoe Shopping for a thirteen year old....

Shopping for shoes for 13 year old Mary's Confirmation was quite an adventure. Mind you, I don't let her wear heels. I really dislike the way young girls are wearing more and more adultlike clothing.

But I did think maybe I'd let her wear a little chunky one, you know, for Confirmation. But nearly all the shoes were like these blue, red, and green pairs. Beautiful shoes, I'll grant you. I wouldn't be able to walk in them, but my oldest would. Not only did I think Mary too young for such a heel but I could just see her tipping her ankle over just before the annointing. Not a pleasant thought.


And then....

A three inch skinny heel for her first pair of heels at age 13??? I don't think so.


Fortunately, big sister Anne spotted these sweet, flat brown ones that really did match the dress perfectly. (Course she also found some skinny, spikey ones for herself. I don't know how she wears those things.)

I don't think I could have talked Mary into the flat brown ones by myself. But when Anne says something is perfect the little girls don't argue. (I'm so glad to have her on my team.)
The two girls with their prized purchases.

6 comments:

Alexis said...

I'm always jealous of Anne's shoes! Being pregnant I am limited to skinniness and height but someday I'll be stylish again!

Melissa said...

ohhh I like some of those shoes. Cute!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Would you mind sending Anne to New Jersey so she can take Middle Sister shopping?
Those brown shoes are adorable!

Rosemary said...

Alexis, You look great when you're pregnant too.
motherhood, they are cure, aren't they.
Barb, LOL, perhaps she should be a shopping consultant....

Anonymous said...

I loved the green shoes above, but no, indeed not for a 13 year old!

It makes me cringe when one of the readers at church always struts around in 4 inch high heels....she nearly flew to the lectern once....and this past Sunday she was still wearing those 4 inchers while carrying her newborn baby.....the flooring in Church is all shiny tiles...drives me nuts that she is so vain....but I am not against high heels, I just feel that there is a time and place for wearing them...which is almost any place except at Mass :-)

Not that i would wear anything but flat shoes and low wedges anyway!

Rosemary said...

Me too, Deb. I fall off of the high ones. Always did, even when I was young and had good balance. I don't know. I actually think it's a rather odd thing we do to our feet. Elevate the heel and then balance it on a little tiny base? I don't like my feet hurting so I don't wear them.