Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Speaking the truth fearlessly in the tradition of John the Baptist

On this the memorial of The Martyrdom of John the Baptist I have been contemplating the courage it takes to speak the truth. Today, when so many lies abound and the world is filled with such confusion it would seem speaking the truth is more important than ever. Truths such as:

Abortion kills a living human being. A woman's body does not include her baby's body. Abortion is not a matter of personal freedom. It is about the right of a human being to live.

Homosexual behavior is disordered and unhealthy. Marriage is between one man and one woman and there is no other kind of marriage. Homosexual behavior is not simply a personal matter because the gay activists have brought it into the public square with their unrelenting attempts to gain public acceptance of their behavior. Public acceptance endangers everyone. Our laws reflect who we are as a people.

Parents are the primary educators of their children.

Babies need lots and lots of time with their mothers....

Starving and/or dehydrating a person to death is murder, regardless of the person's wishes or physical or mental state.

And so on...

I must admit that my speaking of the truth is largely limited to letters to the editor and posts on my blog. It's difficult to confront people. It's particularly hard now when dreadful ideas have become so commonplace that even otherwise good people accept them.

Writing is important and does impact people. I'm asking myself why I primarily visit blogs whose writers I thoroughly agree with. Perhaps I should get out there in the blogosphere where the real dirt is flying?

Some of these issues are so hot that one wonders about the danger of speaking out. I once received a hostile phone call from someone who had read one of my letters to the editor. Perhaps I should take off this blog some of the personally identifying information.

Still, there is the example of John the Baptist who surely knew that his life was in danger by speaking the truth. And there is the example of Herod who worried about the opinions of others and committed an unspeakable crime, for which he is remembered today. May I follow the example of John the Baptist.

Saint John the Baptist, pray for us!!!

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Holy St. John pray to God for us.

Salome Ellen said...

A friend who was a foreign missionary in a dangerous country was once asked if she wasn't afraid to live and work there. Her reply -- "I know I am in the center of God's will for me, and that's much safer than being anywhere else." That's the kind of courage St. John encourages us to: not safety but righteousness. May we all be granted it!

Colleen said...

Wonderful list of truths!

I once had an unpleasant experience after a letter to the editor. However, it's still good to speak out.

I think of that saying, "If you were on trial for being a Christian, would they have enough evidence to convict you?" It's good to leave a trail of evidence.

Thank you, John the Baptist for your good example.