Thursday, August 17, 2006

Speaking out about abortion

Have you seen this article referenced on a number of blogs written by a Russian woman about how she came to not be aborted? It's very thought provoking. What struck me was how often we are silent about the reality of what an abortion is. How often we are complacent, kind of reconciled to the fact that abortion is commonplace in our society. Perhaps we need to be reminded that there are those who have never heard someone say that abortion takes the life of a baby. Or perhaps they have heard it many times but they need to hear it one more time before the lie is finally toppled. I am much more comfortable talking about abortion to people who share my faith than to those whose faith I do not know. Yet who has the greater need to hear the truth?

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Rosemary..Hello! I am the a blogger who you just made a comment to about going to see Elliot Yamin at the concert...recall? Anyway, this year, the K of C sponsored a booth at our county fair and it went over very well...alot of good literature was taken and much more traffic stopped to look at our posters, etc. I was well pleased more than most years. Yesterday, at the Indy Fair, I stopped by their Right to Life booth and told the couple that were there manning it,
that I appreciated what they were doing because it isn't easy sitting in the heated booths doing this and we also need to support those who take their time to do this because it is so needed and it isn't always easy to get someone to man these educational booths. They smiled and were so happy that I said something to them. They had a really nice booth and said that they were running out of materials like we did with some things. That is a good thing!

Colleen said...

I agree with Suzanne. The folks at those booths are always friendly. A number of years ago, I was at the North Dakota State
Fair and I stopped to praise one pro-life booth for displaying the evils of contraception. They were amazed to discover that they weren't the only ones to make the contraception/anti-life connection. I guess I was the first one to stop by with that comment.

Rosemary said...

Kudos to the people who man these booths. It is a way to reach out to the public at large-- a kind of evangelization.

Lori said...

A very good article. Thanks for sharing it.