Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Peace Vigil? Pray a rosary!

Some three hundred people in my hometown held a "peace vigil." They lined the streets of several blocks in our downtown area holding candles and signs. They were reportedly calling "for the United State to demand a cease-fire." There was no mention of prayer. I can see the purpose of a prayer vigil for peace. That may be the only solution to the problem. But I don't understand the purpose of this demonstration.

We are nowhere near anyone who is making any decisions for Israel or Hezbollah or Lebanon. There was no call to write letters, make calls, or anything that might actually have any impact at all on the situation. The U.S. should demand a ceasefire?? Yeah. We just say, "We demand that you stop it!! Stop it!!" And then they'll stop, right? Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? The organizer is reported to have said that "the only long-term solution for peace is a cease-fire." Isn't that like saying that the only way there will be peace is to have peace? I don't see any meaning here.

Which leads me to wonder, as I often do, what exactly is the motivation of these people? The judgmental side of me thinks perhaps it is self-righteousness. We are all upset by the violence in the Middle East. Perhaps these people take some comfort in thinking they are better than those involved in violence. Do we not all desire and value peace? What good is brought about by publicly displaying one's commitment to peace. Perhaps it makes them feel that they are doing something. My own opinion is that such displays are based on simplistic reasoning (if any reasoning at all) and do nothing to advance the cause of peace. Now getting together to pray a rosary for peace.... that could have an enormous impact.

2 comments:

Renee said...

I think the urge to gather, call out for peace or help, light candles, etc. is part of our human make-up. I would bet these people are attempting to fill a need for communion, as well as aknowledging a dependence on a higher power. They are just turning to the wrong higher power. If they would refine the focus of the desires of their hearts and souls, they would see Christ, patiently waiting and listening.

Rosemary said...

Mary Poppins not, I'm sure you are right. You have characterized the situation with much greater charity than I. Yes. And may the Lord receive this desire on their part as a prayer for peace-- a prayer that is perhaps the most sincere that they are capable of right now. I must watch my cynicism.