Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A New High Schooler

My youngest son started high school today. How can this be??

I think he's quite ready, quite mature, and he understands what he's about to undertake. I have great hopes for him. (In addition to hoping he won't get hurt playing football. :)

As I always do when one of my children starts high school, I said a rosary for him after dropping him off. Oh Lord, please bless him all the days he spends in high school. May he do his best, have lots of fun, grow in holiness, and bring great joy to you, His heavenly father, who cherishes him so much.

I thank you again, my Lord and my God, for the gift of being his mother.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's amazing to think that someday I will be there to. Scary thought. I'm not ready to think about high school for Duncan. It feels so close to me still. :)

Denise said...

Rosemary,

Don't these high school years go by fast?! Enjoy the moments. They are fleeting.

Take a look at this article. I know that having all the children grown and out of the house will afford many freedoms, but I do so love having them around I can't imagine being anxious to have the nest empty. I am not worried about collapsing into a puddle of self pity when I am not centered on the everyday lives of my kids, but I do cherish the time I have with them. It seems very self centered to want the kids out of the house so you can enjoy a beer and the football game uninterrupted.

Rosemary said...

Jodi, you won't believe how fast the time goes. Cherish every minute. It's a magical time.

Cathlic mom, I read the article. Like most secular articles I think it was pretty focused on the "relief" of not having kids around. We live in such an anti-child society. I'm sure there will be some sense of freedom, though. I'm actually a long way from there. My youngest son just started high school but I have two daughters younger than he. Still, I can see how fast the years are flying. I try to focus on living joyfully in the day I have.

Anonymous said...

I was blessed with only one child, and he's a junior this year. I am terrified of the day he leaves home -- I love my husband and all, but my son and I have such a close relationship and I'll miss his company dearly. My husband will, too -- Teddy still sits on his dad's lap occasionally (shhh, don't tell him I told you!). My husband has offered to build a little house on our property for Teddy so he never has to leave home! Too bad that there are parents out there who don't appreciate what a gift our children are. Let's hope their children don't see caring for their aged parents as such a burden.