Monday, August 21, 2006

The Negligent Mother and the Good Natured Son

Two minutes before we had to leave for his first football scrimmage my son asked if I had washed his shirt and underarmor. I said yes and then realized with horror that I had put them in the washer but never made the transfer to the dryer. I gasped and ran downstairs to try two minutes in the dryer with only two items. They came out still pretty damp.

I said, "OK. Here's what we're going to do. We're going to hold them outside the window while we're driving. We'll hold them really, really tightly because we don't want to stop on the highway to run back and find your shirt somewhere on the side of the road, OK?" We were both laughing by now.

We alternated between holding them in the wind and pressing the underarmor against the heat vents which we had blowing hot air full blast, in spite of the 80 degree temperature outside. This allowed for more jokes about drying the "underarms of the underarmor," etc. By the time we got out of the car the shirts were almost dry.

I enjoyed the ridiculousness of the scene while also berating myself for being such a negligent mother. Jim chuckled as he entered the locker room, no doubt amused by his driven mother's consistently failed efforts at perfection. What a blessing to have a son who, even at 14 and heading for his first football scrimmage, is so good-natured he could see the humor in the situation. God bless him.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Bwahahahahahaha - you are *brilliant* I'd never have thought about that. My kids do that to me all the time - I can't wash it if it's not in the DIRTY CLOTHES. ARrrrrrrg

Rosemary said...

Exactly, Mimi. LOL

Lori said...

This is really weird, but last year basically this same thing happened to us. My football player went to a game alittle damp,LOL!!

AbortionHurts said...

Rosemary, Our 11 year old son plays basketball in the rain puddles that collect on the blacktop of our Catholic elementary school. When this happens, we put his soaking socks out the window, then roll the window up tightly so just a fraction of an inch of sock is inside our Suburban as we drive down the freeway, socks happily flying and drying along the way, to the amusement of many.

This is my first visit to your blog, but I greatly enjoy your writings. I am a Catholic Mom, active in our faith, blessed with a loving husband and three great kids (our oldest is in driver's training), and I spend many mornings at abortion clinics, offering women anything they might need to choose life for their unborn child.

I look forward to reading more about you and your "Catholic Mother's Thoughts".

Rosemary said...

Dear Friend (Abortion Hurts), It never occurred to me that the closed window might hold it tight. The system gets refined! LOL
May God bless all of your efforts at the abortion clinics. I occasionally go to prayer vigils, protests, etc. at the clinics. It is an issue very dear to my heart. Thanks for visiting my blog.