Monday, January 14, 2008

Prayer Request

Please pray for my brother. He is pictured above with my son Jim. I spent the day with him at the University of Michigan Medical Center today where he underwent a procedure to open up his esophagus. His esophagus has actually failed. He can swallow but food doesn't go all the way down and accumulates in a dilated section. They want to remove a third of his esophagus!!! This is very major surgery ( a six day stay in the hospital)!! His doctor whom he likes a lot says if he doesn't want to do the surgery, he'll have to find a new gastroenterologist. He really doesn't want to do it. He isn't losing weight and the food does go down eventually. Please pray for his healing and for wisdom.

6 comments:

Stevie Moon said...

Yikes - what a big decision! I'll be praying for him and your family.

the mother of this lot said...

I have just found your blog. I will pray for your brother.

God Bless.

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

I will be praying for your brother!
My father endured esophagal cancer before succumbing 9 years ago, so I will also ask for his intercession for your brother. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

I will pray for your brother to have wisdom in making this important decision.

I hope he will first ask for a second opinion about something this serious.
Most insurance honors a claim for a second opinion.

I would also study the condition on the internet through search engines.
Mayo Clinic is a good site.

Rosemary said...

Thank you, Stevie

Mother of this Lot, thank you and thanks for visiting my blog.

Lisa, thank you. Did your father have an esphagectomy? My brother is at risk for this kind of cancer. Thank you for asking for your father's intercession.

Mary Ellen, I told him the same thing. Maybe even a third opinion. I'll suggest the mayo Clinic site to him too. Thanks so much.

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Rosemary, my father did not have a esphagectomy. Unfortunately, by the time my father had his swallowing difficulties thoroughly checked out, his cancer was too far advanced. He had radiation treatments only for the chance of shrinking the tumor and allowing him to swallow food. In his case, it didn't work.
I'll continue to pray for your brother, for sound wisdom and complete healing!

God bless!
Lisa