Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More on Substitute Teaching

I think the funniest experience I have had substitute teaching was in a seventh grade classroom. I was tired. I was not in a good mood and I did not want to be messed with. I started the day by saying to the class. "I expect you to raise your hand before you speak. I expect you to ask permission before you get out of your seat. You need to do what I ask you to do and NOT do what I ask you not to do. Anyone who does not do these things will have their name given to Mr. Edwards (not his real name) as someone who did not cooperate while he was gone. Does everyone understand?" I expect you to treat me with the same respect you give to Mr. Edwards.

There was silence for a few seconds. Then a boy in the back of the room slowly raised his hand and perfectly deadpan asked, "Are you sure you don't want to be treated with more respect than Mr. Edwards?"

I burst out laughing, my cover completely blown, I admitted, "Maybe I do." Still, the day went pretty well after that. I think the class and I had an understanding. :)

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Tee hee.

FloridaWife said...

Oh, that's funny! The innocent comments of a youth!