Monday, January 08, 2007

Heels and a feminine look

On one of the days over Christmas when I wasn't feeling very well I saw on cable a show called, I believe, "How do I look?" It was about a woman who was "learning to get more in touch with her feminine side " in terms of her clothing choices. She liked to wear basketball shorts and white t-shirts. She was shown by three designer types how she could dress more feminine. I thought OK. Basketball shorts and white t-shirts. Yeah, She could dress more feminine.

But these three made a big deal about heels. She liked tennis shoes. (So do I.) They said she must learn how to walk in heels. When she came out at the end all dolled up the host of the show (a woman) asked how she liked the heels. The woman said "They hurt my feet." The host laughed and said, "Welcome to our world."

I can see how heels can make a woman's feet look attractive, dainty, feminine, etc. But they DO hurt! I hate them. They're hard to walk in and they hurt. They seem like an unhealthy and unnatural thing to do to your feet. I have a few pairs of low heels for very dressy occasions, but I avoid them if at all possible.

Can a woman be "in touch with her feminine side" and not wear heels? Can she still look womanly? I hope so because I sure don't want to start wearing stiletoes now. Besides, I think I can say with a great deal of certainty that Our Lady did not wear heels. Is she not our perfect role model?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in touch with my feminine side and don't wear heels!
Go girl!
GOd bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Pretty flats DO exist. No heels for me!!!
Although I believe that my daughter will be the opposite. She was helping me look for shoes last week and kept bringing me heels....I told her I didn't want them since they hurt. "Comfort before beauty." And she said, "No, Mom! Beauty before comfort!"
Obviously I have some work to do with this one.

Anonymous said...

High heels are a form of torture! They're bad for posture, bad for your back, bad for your feet!

That said, when I weighed half what I do now, I wore my share of high heels and didn't have much of a problem with them.

I, like you, have a nice selection of 1.5-inch heels for dress occasions, but mostly I wear sensible flats!

Those "How Do I Look"-type shows are so silly -- they always encourage women to look like tarts, showing off their "curves" and their "assets."

Ruthann

Colleen said...

I start to get a little paranoid whenever I see one of those kinds of shows. Are there actually people out there, looking at what I'm wearing, and thinking, 'Gosh, she'd be so much better if she wore heels???' But, isn't it better to be caught out wearing 'last season's colors' than to be stared at in public for beating your kids or shouting at your husband?

I stopped wearing dress shoes of any sort -- except to church or special occasions -- when I was pregnant with my first child 12 years ago. Amazing, isn't it: I don't have 'permanent' red bumps on my toes anymore. Go figure!

Mimi said...

I wear chunky heels, but not spiky ones (except now and then for dressing up like for a party or wedding or something).

I don't feel unfeminine at all.

Rosemary said...

Glad I'm not the only one!! Barb, I have a 21 yo daughter and you should see the heels she wears. I sure love communicating with all you kindred spirits online!

Glad there are some pretty dress shoes now that are flat or almost flat. Good enough for me!

ukok said...

I detest wearing heels. I've always found them intolerably uncomfortable, but when I was younger I wore them to appear more physically/sexually attractive to the opposite sex. I never wore them just for me. I'll never do that again. Plus I have horrid varicous veins as a result :-(

Anonymous said...

I am SHORT...5 ft and maybe, just maybe 1/2. I have some more of a pump style heel for church or dress up and I don't always wear them to Mass, but sometimes, being short, well, you just want to look taller SOMETIMES! That is mostly the reason! LOL! Other than that, comfort BEFORE beauty or even before TALL! ;0! Suzanne

Rosemary said...

I am short too-- 5 ft. and when I was younger I too tried to wear them sometimes but I was such a klutz about it, always falling off them I finally just decided they don't work for me. (in addition to the foot pain, etc.) I don't have a problem with other people wearing them, though.