Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An Alzheimer's relationship

Michelle has written an interesting post on the movie "The Notebook." Recalling the movie brought back so many memories of my parents' relationship during my mother's Alzheimer's Disease. My mother developed Alzheimer's in her 60s. By the time they celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary in the nursing home, I realized that the disease had taken up more than a quarter of their years together.

My father cared for my mother in their home for about the first five years of the disease. She advanced very rapidly to late stage Alzheimers. By year 5 she no longer recognized her own home and frequently didn't know us. In about year 6 she could no longer walk. Around year 7 she lost the ability to talk and to feed herself. She was in the nursing home, a very nice one, for ten years. Every day my father visited her. He ate dinner with her. When she could no longer feed herself he would feed her. When her ability to swallow was deteriorating he would feed her pureed food 1/4 teaspoon at a time. It took a good hour to feed her a whole meal. By that time, it was a good day if she made eye contact. He still showed her affection. He still kissed her. He still talked to her. He bought her ice cream. In the nice weather he would take her for a walk outside. He paid for her hair to be done every single week.

He also instructed the staff to not put a "do not resuscitate" order on her chart.

He explained to me that the reason was not because he wanted to prolong her life past the natural course of it. He just wanted to make sure that no one thought he was waiting for her to die because that might effect the quality of care she would be given. There is no question in my mind that she received excellent care because of my father's attention. Every day he asked the nurse, "What is the patient/staff ratio today?"

I will write more about their relationship soon. It was just on my mind because of Michelle's post. For years my father never received a smile from my mother. I don't think she had the ability to smile in the last few years. It didn't matter to my dad. He wasn't there for the reward. He was there because he loved her and it didn't matter if she could give nothing in return.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

This is a very sweet love story, Rosemary. For me, it explains why you didn't cry during the movie - you had been in the trenches almost. You don't cry - you deal with it.

May their souls be at peace - together.

Rosemary said...

Thank you so much, Michelle. And thanks for bringing up the topic through the film.

Anonymous said...

Rosemary,
My mother had the same disease and everything you listed about the progression of it sounded so so familiar. We had our entire family together helping and we had two family houses on one street and my sister who is a nurse and her family actually living with my parents during part of the time to help. We hoped to keep her home and it was only because we all were right her together that we were able to because she fell and broke her hip and it was too late...I mean her mind would not tell her to do physical therapy and so she ended up in the wheel chair. Mom was a little thing, so that was helpful as we got her up everyday almost without fail. The last several months, my sis moved out and my family moved in this house where we remain today. We began to "buy" it from my father as he lived here too. Mom passed away here. Soon dad found his cancer had returned in another place and we lived with him here until he passed away here also.
Times were tough and times were blessed, but our family is glad we could care for both of them. My dad had a hard time when mom first got sick...he just didn't BELIEVE what was happening. After he came to the point of acceptance, his relationship to her was very much like how the movie was about love.
Thanks for sharing. God bless...Suzanne from SincerelyMyThoughts

Anonymous said...

Rosemary, your story brings tears to my eyes. How very, very special. A true love story...

Mimi said...

What a beautiful post, Rosemary. I am such a sucker for a good love story, and you have seen that in your parents' story. That is a huge gift to you, and I know you know it.

May their Memories be Eternal.

Anonymous said...

I wish more couples could be like your parents. Someone I know has his wife in a home as she has an incurable brain disease that is much like Alzheimers. But this man lives with his girlfriend and everyone accepts it. It is scandalous and sinful. And very very sad.

Rosemary said...

Thank you all.