Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Illuminism-- a blind adherence to one's own opinion

In Thomas Dubay's book, "Deep Conversion, Deep Prayer," he writes:

A seldom noticed root of conflict "is called illuminism. As far as I can tell, the idea is practically unknown in secular circles, and yet the reality is not rare. The word, illuminism, comes from the Latin for light: lumen. this illness, and it is part of the original wound, comes in two forms. On the natural level it is the conviction of some people that their ideas, their opinions, their preferences are automatically superior to those of others. When one talks to an illuminist, evidence contrary to the latter's view has little or no effect on his conviction. Even if the evidence is compelling, it does not penetrate his mind or will.

I found this passage very interesting. Could illuminism be the explanation for why abortion advocates are not interested in pre-natal development, or rather, why they act as though such information is irrelevent to the discussion? Is it because the evidence doesn't matter? My opinion is my opinion no matter what evidence you present, no matter what the truth might be? I understand that Dubay is saying that such attitudes stem from the fall, but what is the motivation of a person who maintains such a belief, I wonder. Is it egoism? Pride? Perhaps self-defense if facing the truth might just be too painful? I think when I was younger and really quite stupid I was indeed guilty of this. I hope I am not now...

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I've also witnessed the idea that nobody's opinion is better than anybody else's...or at least that YOUR opinion is not better than MY opinion, even if your opinion is an educated opinion. So, even though you've raised real children, I can tell you everything you are doing wrong...even though your doctor thinks you need this medicine, I think your problem is this...even though that woman works for the State Department, the real solution to world peace is this...whatever.

As for abortion...and any other issues that involve "truth," I've spoken with relatives who are eager to tell me that "truth" is relative. For me to seek an abotion would be abominable, since I belive that the unborn are human, but for another woman who doesn't feel that way, it is no big deal to have an abortion - the "growth" inside the womb is what each woman decides it is, and we have no right to tell another woman what we think it is.

It is perverted logic, but that's what is required for sane people to do unthinkable things.

ukok said...

When I was younger I was very, very stupid. I sometimes wonder if I still am, but I doubt that you are.

Rosemary said...

ukok, believe me, I still am, in some ways, very stupid. (Although not in as many ways as I once was.)

Michelle, good points. I my case, I think I will listen to evidence but my initial thought is usually that I know best. It's that know-it-all pride....