Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Heirlooms Revisited

This is my grandson. As he made little lines by pulling his fingers against the nap of the fabric on this chair my thoughts went back some sixty years.

I used to do the very same thing when I was a little girl. It was fun. And all you had to do was brush your hand over the fabric again and the lines would disappear.

My brother and sister and I had all done it. Then I realized not only did I do that myself but I did it on this exact same chair which was in my grandmother's living room. I can remember it so clearly. The chair has been reupholstered several times, but it's the same chair. I explained to my grandson that I had also done that when I was little and that the chair belonged to my grandmother then.

I tried to explain to him who my grandmother would be in relation to him. I was kind of shocked to realize that the woman I remember so clearly was his great-great grandmother! Two greats!! I think it was kind of hard for him to imagine that his nana had a grandmother.

Yeah. Started feeling kind of old. Just kind of. ;-)



And check out this picture! I think it's better than I ever remember drawing! Both of those grandparents were artists-- musicians. My grandfather also made oil paintings in his retirement. I bet they're both smiling at this work of their great-great grandson on the furniture that used to grace their living room.

Somehow we remain connected by threads of memory to those who went before us. And somehow, I am quite sure, they must be pleased. God rest their souls.

No comments: