Thursday, August 15, 2019

Following Specific Instructions



I wrote about my daughter's Mothers Day gift to me a little over a year ago. You can find that post here. It was a gorgeous orchid.

The blooms lasted a long time and eventually they faded and fell off. The instructions with the plant said, "Water with three ice cubes once a week." Nothing about fertilizing, just an instruction to water like that and place in a location with a lot of light, but not direct sun.

Well, I had a room that gets a lot of light. I did place the orchid on a windowsill that gets a lot of light, mostly indirect, but a brief period of direct light every day. Like maybe an hour, probably less.

I do not have a green thumb, but I can follow directions and I did.

I'm happy to tell you that the photos here are not the picture of the orchid when it was given to me. It is the picture of the orchid now, a year later, after it sat not blooming for over a year. It is loaded with blooms, so much so that it almost looks like it could fall over.



And there are more that have not yet opened.

What an incredibly beautiful flower. I did not have confidence it would bloom again. I just kept watering it because it was alive and it had leaves and my daughter had given it to me. Learn more about orchid care HERE.

My life lesson here? Follow directions, be patient, let the plant have its time. Just do your best. Don't sweat the outcome. Even if it hadn't bloomed again, I would have known that at least I had tried.

What a blessing to see this every morning. God is good. All the time.

No comments: