Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Grotto at Notre Dame


Here is the grotto at Notre Dame with my sister and one of my sons praying.
When I go to Notre Dame I always try to say a rosary at the grotto.
Once it was nighttime, freezing cold, and sleeting. I told my son I wanted to say the rosary at the grotto after dinner but that he didn't need to come with me. He said he would anyway. We ate in the dining hall with a group of his friends. After dinner he told them of our plans. He asked, "Anybody want to go?" They ALL wanted to go. They piled in my van and we drove over there.
I was so distracted saying the rosary by these amazing college students who wanted to join us in the freezing rain. When we finished the last prayer I turned to them, about to tell them how impressed I was with their devotion. To my astonishment, they all were still standing there, eyes closed, deep in prayer for another five minutes or so. I was nearly in tears thinking who are these kids? I certainly was not like this in college and didn't know anyone else like this either. The grace of God was just upon them. Perhaps I will be criticized again by an anonymous commenter but I must say that I think many of the students at Notre Dame, and certainly these students in particular, are influenced by the presence of Our Lady on that campus.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

We are going to hopefully attend a Franciscan Univ. at Stubenville High
School retreat with some teens this summer. I am excited because I saw alot of that on this campus also when I was there several years ago. Also, at our Consumed High School retreats, which are based on Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament all weekend long is breathtaking to watch, when on Saturday night, those teens (many who had never heard of Adoration time) stay on their knees for about two hours for the most wonderful time of Benediction and praise and then, that night they are asked to come for Adoration through the night. They are not required to, however.
Let me just say that they come and they come and the next day you hear chatting all about you that it was so "cool going to Adoration!" My daughters say the kids think that is one of the most special parts of attending this retreat and by the way the roster fills up each time, I don't think their making it up.
Young people these days, know down deep...if they've had any chance at all to learn, that they too NEED God so much! May they never forget!
Thank you for sharing this beautiful post, Rosemary!

Denise said...

What a beautiful and grace-filled experience! It really gives great hope as we watch the next generation embrace the Faith.

Kitchen Madonna said...

I've heard the grotto is grace-filled place. Maybe I'll make it someday.

Amy said...

I responded to your comment on my blog about the anonymous poster. Catholic schools cannot be truly Catholic without good Catholic kids. PERIOD.

What a beautiful experience! I wish I could have been there!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry Catholic kids do not make a school Catholic, what makes a school Catholic is the people that teach their (being in good standing with the Vatican) and the people that attend the school actually believe what the Church teaches...so far ND is batting 0-2.
Hence it is catholic with a small c and not a BIG C as say Franciscan Univ. is!!!

Mairin :o) said...

What a beautiful experience! What hope those young adults give us. Your son has chosen good friends. He's quite the young man.

Amy said...

I agree anon. You have to have good Catholic teachers too. My comment was directed mainly at the idea that if we raise good Catholic kids than they can stand up to anything they face when they go to any college. And that by sending good Ctaholic kids to universities that are Catholic (small or little c) we are encouraging the faith and hopefully making the world a better place.
God bless.