Monday, November 24, 2008

Family Moment Monday-- good intentions

I am participating in Family Moment Monday hosted by Motherhood for Dummies.

Do you remember holding that baby for the very first time and thinking how you never wanted so badly to do this job perfectly and also realizing that you were completely inadequate?   Parenting is co complex and even getting advice from experienced parents has to be seen through the lens of your own family and your own unique children.  It's really tough. 

Only God the Father himself can do the job perfectly and his first two children messed up!

That free will thing is scary.  Scary for my own life and scary for the people I love.

I'm not hinting that my kids have messed up.  Actually, my kids are doing great and I couldn't be more pleased and actually shocked that even with a mother like me, they're (so far) all turning out just fine.

It must be the prayer.  

Oh Lord, please bless my children and all the children of people who read this blog and all the children who are loved by people who read this blog.  In spite of all the weaknesses, sins, and just plain stupid decisions that I and all parents make, please raise these children to be your good and faithful servants.

My pastor gave me some very comforting advice (in Confession) yesterday.  He said that the old saying that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions is actually not true.  He said the opposite is actually true.  The road to HEAVEN is paved with good intentions.  God looks at our intentions.

Isn't that comforting?  We don't need to be perfect parents.  We just need to try.  God is merciful.

God bless.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh, thank you, Rosemary...we must keep praying and we simply must keep trying...from the heart and soul, of course..not just the mind and ego.
That is where I think I fail at times..Oh, Dear Lord Jesus, forgive me and help me with this...one day..sometimes one moment at a time!
Thank you sweet Lord and Mother Mary for praying for us and thanks for a good praying friend like Rosemary.
Amen

Andrea said...

That was beautiful, thank you. I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm freaking out about some trivial little thing and whether or not it will help or hurt my child in the long run.

Sarah - Kala said...

Rosemary, that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing the bit of wisdom of your priest.

Mimi said...

Thank you so much Rosemary! I needed to hear that.
Isn't it amazing how much of our (my anyway) confessions has to do with how I keep botching parenting?

Lyndsie Miles said...

Beautiful thoughts from a beautiful woman! Thank you so much!
That prayer was much needed today. I was worrying about how much I don't do "right."
Many prayers for you as well.

antonia said...

very touching!

xxx