Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day, Mom

My mom has been gone for three years now, having suffered from Alzheimer's for over ten years before her passing.

My one consolation is that now, at least, she knows me and her grandchildren again.

Once when my mom was well advanced in her disease and in a nursing home she told me, "I just want to go home and be a mom." I knew exactly what she meant. She wanted to be back "with the apron on." I know all you moms know just what I mean.

My mother was a good mother who would do anything for her family. She was always there for us. And she adored her grandchildren. She couldn't say enough good things about them. They were all beautiful, and "extremely intelligent," etc. I always had to laugh. They could do no wrong in her eyes. I'd try to get them to pick things up before we left her house. She would let them make forts out of the cushions on her couch and chairs. She's say, "Oh just leave it. It will give me the pleasure of knowing they were here."

Mom, we all miss you a whole lot. Please pray for us. (like a minute could pass in heaven without her thinking to do that. ) Thanks for being my mom.

11 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

(((HUGS))) Rosemary! What a lovely tribute to your Mom -- I know she is thinking of you right now.

Suzanne said...

Makes it easier when we know that they DO know us again, doesn't it?
That was a difficult part ...the strangest thing ever. Still, it is so good that she and my mother loved much, because that is what helps the ones here to be able to handle it at all...it is those memories that we could and can grab onto because they were such very good and warm ones!
Maybe our mothers will have a moment together in Heaven..who knows..hmm? :)

Kitchen Madonna said...

May God grant her soul eternal rest!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Rosemary, belated Mother's Day greetings to you :-)

Rosemary said...

Thank you,everybody. Suzanne, as I remembered that your mother had Alzheimer's too I had the same thought-- maybe they know each other now and are watching their daughters get to know each other online. Maybe they even orchestrated it! Happy Mother's Day to you all.

Suzanne said...

Oh, my goodness, Rosemary, I didn't think of that, but I know one thing, as silly as I can get on this internet with my good momma friends, here, it surely keeps me outta trouble and away from the soap box operas..my mom would surely be happy for me to have such WONDERFUL and holy friends! I'll bet your mother definitely feels the same. God bless.

Rosemary said...

You too, Suzanne. I'm smiling and I feel the same way.

Anonymous said...

Tugging at my heartstrings, this beautiful post. I lost my mom almost twelve years ago now, but it still seems like yesterday. That's a beautiful picture of your mother.

Renee said...

She sounds like a truly wonderful person. That was a lovely post. May her memory be eternal!

Mimi said...

May her Memory be Eternal. I know how awesome you are, and I can see how awesome she was through you.

Alexandra said...

Beautiful tribute. My wonderful kind loving grandmother had this as well, and she had one of those really sharp minds. Of all the diseases to get! She was a M.D.

Your mom is home now in God's loving arms.