Monday, April 02, 2007

Staying at Home

Above you see the reasons I have spent the last twenty-two years raising children at home.

My good friend Mary has drawn my attention to a book review of "The Feminine Mistake" by Leslie Bennetts in People Magazine. I have not read the book. The book examines the "economic pitfalls facing stay-at-home moms." What if your husband dies, leaves you, or loses his job?

Sadly, these are indeed risks that the stay-at-home mom faces. Some can be averted. Life insurance covers the first risk. Might your husband leave you? Well, yes. Sometimes men do. What if he loses his job? Well, that happens too. But to say that therefore a mom should make sure she is working seems like a drastic overreaction to me.

Moms who choose to stay home with their children make a lot of sacrifices. They sacrifice additional family income. They sacrifice career advancement. In some segments of society they sacrifice the respect of other women and sometimes men as well. And, yes, they do sacrifice financial security.

But the moms I know stay home with their children because they want what's best for their children and no sacrifice is too great. The children come first. Period. That being said, every mom I know who stays home with her children also finds it an extremely rewarding occupation.
I can't imagine a job that would be more satisfying or more fun. Yes, it's a sacrifice but, for me, it has also provided for me the most satisfying years of my life.

I'm sure my friend Mary would wholeheartedly agree.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

I wholeheartedly agree...now we must pray that more and more women do...including our daughters, sisters, nieces, and cousins...friends and neighbors.
Stay-at-home moms have a responsibility aside from what they do at home with our children, and that is to not hang our heads low. I try to think of how I appear in public, as an example to those who know I homeschool, esp.
I got to Friday morning Mass each week. It is also my day, so to speak, for I do think we need that time. On Friday, I always TRY to look and act presentable and often I do feel that way anyway...I mean, it is my day in someways, but what I mean, is that I pray for others to see, that sacrifice must not look gloomy or like I've aged a thousand years...I try to put a smile on my face and most of the time my kids ...most of the time, do help me feel young, so on those days, I allow myself to be cheery and reflect the gift that God has given me to stay home.
I am thankful for this and somehow,
maybe some look on and wonder....... ??? I sure hope so!

Suzanne said...

Oh! Rosemary! I meant to say that you have a lovely family...I love this photo!

Rosemary said...

Suzanne, you are so right about not hanging our heads low. It is easy to let things slide when we so comfortably hang out with mainly our families. I need to remember this.

FloridaWife said...

I agree too. It's kind of like, "should I keep working in case my husband loses his job??" And what IF your husband did die? Sure it'd be difficult, but you'd do something. You would manage, and other women would too.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Those are your KIDS? Could they be any more gorgeous????? They look like cover models on a magazine or something! They all look so healthy and happy. Golden children, all!
Good job, Ma!

a thorn in the pew said...

i agree with Laura, darling and happy to boot! I think the saying "God does not give us more than we can handle" applies here.
You've done well :)