Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Sick Children

OK. While I'm going on and on about being a stay-at-home mom I have a confession to make. I actually do work outside the home part time. But I work at my own children's school three hours a day. When one of my young children are sick, I just call the office and they find me a sub. (I also occasionally substitute teach.)

And today I do have a sick child home. He's 15 so he stayed home this morning while I went in to school. (I actually don't even like to do that.) I came home and took his temperature and it's almost 102! Mothering takes a lot of time and requires a lot of scheduling flexibility. I feel for those moms who have to go to work all day and need to leave even a teen home all day alone with a fever. It's hard enough to do it for a half day.

I know there are some who would say, for heaven's sake he's 15. He doesn't need for you to be home. I suppose that's true. But I know from experience that sick people, even adults, really appreciate nurturing. And when of my children needs nurturing, regardless of their age, I am grateful when I can be the one to provide it.

9 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

My 16 year old son is sick too. Hope your son feels better soon. BTW, no matter how old you are, there is nothing as comforting as having your dear mom take care of you.

Rosemary said...

That's for sure, Esther. Hope your son is better soon too.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Hope both your teens are feeling better soon. And yes, they do need their moms when they're sick--no matter what their age!

Amber said...

Awww... I love this post...

Colleen said...

Oh, I agree, Esther! There have been times during my adult life when I've wanted Mom to come and mother me while I'm sick.

In fact, just a two/three years ago, she happened to be visiting when I was struck by a 24-hour bug. It was nice to have Mom there, to bring me soup and water when I needed it. :-)

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Seems like there is a lot of sickies going around this time of year. I know our weather is doing crazy stuff, don't know if yours is as well -- that can sure do someone in!

Rosemary said...

Angie, it is at this very moment (11:46pm) snowing outside, and earlier today we had hail! I think you're right.

Anonymous said...

i have a 15 year old too. She, like my 17 year old has bi-polar so she needs a lot of nurturing still....

Rosemary said...

Yeah, all different stages and ages can use nurturiong, can't they.