Monday, September 16, 2019

Tea Party Shower-- Feeling Grateful for My Adult Kids...



I have come to very much enjoy efforts of hospitality with my daughters, all three of them. 
This particular shower was a group effort between my youngest two daughters and me. It was a bridal shower for Liz's college roommate. Liz did the invitations, flowers and centerpieces.


 Mary made ALL the food. (Delicious!) It was quite a job!

 I did the favors and prizes for the games, with advice from them. Liz planned and led all the games.


I love that they don't hold back. they don't try to make these efforts as easy as possible. They try to make them as nice and as gracious as possible.


That being said, they wanted to use fine china. Course, we didn't have any set that would be big enough so we mismatched a couple sets. (I guess that's a thing now.) Then they decided we should use my mother's old teacup collection. Cool, I thought. Then when they said they wanted to use crystal I said, "I knew it was only a matter of time before someone suggested we bring out the crystal." Their reply, "You don't want to?" And I said, "No, go for it," feeling very pleased at my daughters' gifts of hospitality. So we brought out mine, my mother's, and my grandmother's crystal. Some of it was very old. But, hey, why keep these things if you're not going to use them, right?


There were a couple children coming so the child size tea set was a must.


Liz outdid herself on the tea party themed centerpieces and flowers.


The guests seemed to very much enjoy themselves, which is, of course, the point of the whole effort.



And the bride? The bride was radiant and appreciative. I love these girls.


There's something wonderful that happens when your adult children join your team. We did not argue. We worked together. They pretty much planned the whole thing and I just did the parts I was assigned. With some advice from them. After all, they know better than I (a lot better) what young people like these days. Or at least what these young people like.

There are challenges to letting your children go, letting them have their adult autonomy. I am blessed that all my adult children are living responsible lives. And I am so grateful to see them mastering the art of hospitality and giving to others with their whole hearts.

God is good. All the time.

No comments: