Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Swine Flu!!


Well, first I heard of swine flu in Mexico.  Then it was in Texas with one American fatality.  Then it was in a handful of states, including Michigan.  Then there was a confirmed case about a half hour north of here.  And then.....

BAM!!!

Two suspected cases at my son's high school and the school is closed for a week!!!!!

Spring concert, athletic practices and events, prom, and everything else school related are all canceled.

WOW!!!  And the school is just following the recommendation of the county health department!

Strange times.  Yesterday there were lists of school closings in our area-- just like snow days.

So.  Not to be outdone by anyone else's possible overreaction, I went to Meijer and bought an enormous supply of those simple items that, short of a vaccine, remain our only defense against dreaded viruses.  ( I also bought every flavor of every item for those family members who cannot be persuaded to ignore the taste buds in favor of good health :-)

May this pass quickly!!!

5 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

Here's hoping you spent your money for 'nothing'. I mean, sometimes going through the motions of preparation are the best defenses!

My eldest had a rapid strep come back negative, but they gave him meds anyway . . . I will stop them if he doesn't have strep when they call tomorrow. But he can go back to school.

Stay well!!

ukok said...

It's scary to hear of a cae so close to home. I will certainly remember in my prayes the poor kids who have swine flu and of course, prayes going up for your family, that via your motherly practicality there resistance is built up against this awful outbreak.

Mimi said...

Urg. Prayers.

Suzanne said...

I really like Airborne! Isn't it great? I know it helped Teresa and I this past winter. I stayed well and didn't even have my flu shot. Teresa who works in the daycare, only felt slightly ill a couple of times and she usually gets big sick a couple of times every year. We took it regularly and stayed in when we knew we should.
I don't know about all of this...whew.

Rosemary said...

Thank you, all. Suz, I really like Airborne too. I'm taking it right now and encouraging the kids to do the same (especially Jim.)