Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent!!

Thoughts to Myself on Lent

Remember, Rosemary, that you are dust.....I remember.

Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving

Prayer-- Try to say the rosary with the family or some part of the family every day in Lent.  Continue praying the Examen Prayer daily.  ( I am just finishing a CD series of talks by Father Timothy Gallagher on the Examen Prayer-- St. Ignatius of Loyola's Teaching on finding God in the Busyness of Daily Life.  I have found the Examen to be very fruitful in my spiritual life.)  Pray several times throughout the day.  Keep up with my two adoration hours.

Fasting-- I will do some kind of fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays.  It may be not eating between meals.  It might be liquids and bread only until dinner.  I'm not sure yet.  I may give up sweets.  Dinners on Fridays will be simple.

Almsgiving--  I'm going to clean out my closet and give the clothes I don't wear to St. Vincent de Paul!!!  I will encourage the kids to do the same.  I will give to every street beggar I can (as in, if  I have the money in my purse. ) I will give to specific charities. 

I will also do some spiritual reading.  More on that to come.

May the Lord bless us all this Lent.  May he show us each our path to holiness.  May we come to realize how very much we are in need of His mercy.

3 comments:

Lyndsie Miles said...

Those sound like wonderful things to do! I always love writting down goals... and blogging them makes them even more set in stone!
Have a wonderful Lent!

Suzanne said...

I'll be writing something each day that I can or if I feel inspired. I too hope to fast more this Lent..it always does us good!

Mimi said...

A blessed Lent!