Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Collapse of a Minneapolis Bridge-- no evidence of terrorism?

Lord, have mercy on all who have died and may your peace and your healing presence be upon the injured survivors and upon all the families involved.

Does anyone else find it odd that the Department of Homeland Security would be downplaying the possibility that this is an act of terrorism? Federal and local officials are saying there is no evidence that this is an act of terrorism. Well, I should think so. There probably isn't much evidence of any kind yet. In this day and age are we to believe that an engineering error or a construction error led to the collapse of an entire bridge? No inspections? No warning signs? ALL of the people involved in maintaining the safety of that bridge dropped the ball? I find that hard to believe.

I understand that there may be a desire to not give "credit" or attention to evil people who wish to do us harm. I understand the desire to not get people terrified (which is, of course, what the terrorist wish). But I do think there is still an issue of honesty here. Should they not be saying "We really don't know the cause of this terrible accident yet and therefore can't comment on it."? Wouldn't that show a greater measure of integrity and transparency?

There have been other incidents in recent years that I have thought the same about-- incidents with dubious explanations or no plausible explanations, about which we are told there is no evidence of terrorism. Sometimes I just wonder if we're really being told everything.

8 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

It does smack of protesting too much, doesn't it? It is horrible. I keep waiting to hear that someone I know died or was hurt. It's a small world out here and I think so many people will be touched by this tragedy. I thank God that most of my brothers, cousins, and my dad are in Canada right now and that my hubs worked West today and not East (he's been over that bridge hundreds of times). I didn't have to worry about any of them, but many do have to worry about their loved ones last, frightening moments. I'm praying.

Michelle said...

I studied Civil Engineering in college and took a course on structures like bridges. We talked about the procedures for inspections and safety and maintenance and how, unfortunately, they simply don't have the resources to give each bridge proper attention.

Do I think this bridge collapse was due to terrorism? Not at all. Do I think they are desperate to reassure the populace that all is well? You betcha. How many bridges do you drive across on a regular basis? Do you feel safe knowing that every one of them is as poorly inspected and maintained as this one? Scary thoughts...paralyzing thoughts.

This bridge was "young" in terms of bridges - only 40 years old. But the last inspection (official inspection) was 4 years ago. That's too long. Sadly, these disasters - the preventable ones where the one responsible for doing the preventing is our government - are the hardest for us to accept because it demonstrates a betrayal of our government of what really matters (public safety) for other things that don't (pork roll spending).

Suzanne said...

May God be with those families and with us all. Amen Lord, have mercy. Amen.

Rosemary said...

Laura, I did not know you were from this area. I thank God your loved ones are safe. May God be with everyone effected by this horrible tragedy.

Michelle, wow, thank you for all that information. That really helps me to understand. Really good points.

Suzanne, Amen.

EC Gefroh said...

I heard on the news this morning that the bridge was inspected and found to be unsafe and in an unsatisfactory condition in 2005.

That being said, Rosemary your post stayed with me all night long.

Mimi said...

I appreciated Michelle's comments as well.

Lord have Mercy and Memory Eternal to those affected.

Mrs Marcos said...

I'm also in Minnesota. We've been watching the coverage non-stop. My husband (who is pretty smart about this kind of stuff) said if it was terrorism we would have been hearing reports of people hearing at least one explosion at the beginning of the collapse. The news stations are showing the traffic camera footage and you can't see anything that looks like an explosion (debris blowing upwards), you just see the bridge crumble downwards. The only "sounds" witnesses are reporting are a series of snapping sounds.

I know this is an understatement, but this is a terrible thing, please keep praying for everyone involved. We're hearing awful reports of rescuers having to leave behind victims that are alive but injuries are too grave to transport to the hospital. That must be so heartbreaking to the rescue workers.

Rosemary said...

We will continue to pray Mrs. Marcos. I thank God you and yours are safe.