Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Good Samaritan

Last week Deacon Steve from our parish gave the homily. It was his last Mass as deacon at our parish, Christ the King. He is being transferred. (I realize this should have been last week's post:-)

The Gospel was about the good Samaritan. Deacon Steve gave a very insightful analysis of the symbolism in the story. But what really struck me was his final words to the people of our parish.

"GOODBYE For twenty five years you have been my neighbors, my friends and my sisters and brothers. I hope that I have served you well and loved you with the love of Christ! If I’ve succeeded - thank God and remember to occasionally pray for me. If I’ve failed - Please forgive me, thank God that I am leaving - and please remember to pray for me! To all of you whom Jesus the divine samaritan has treated with mercy, GO AND DO LIKEWISE!"

I immediately thought of the time some five and a half years ago when Deacon Steve blessed my family with an action of true charity. My sister-in-law had been suffering for over four years with breast cancer. She was approaching death. My friend Ann K. who some of you may have read about in Kitchen Madonna's recent apron giveaway, asked if Linda would be open to having some people from our parish come to pray over her. (Ann, who had lost the baby Stella Marie was the winner of the apron:-) She asked several people if they would come, including Deacon Steve. Steve had never met Linda. She was not Catholic, and she lived over an hour away from here. But he agreed to come.

Linda was very sick. We prayed over her from some time. Steve talked to her about a lot of things. Linda was very moved. Then we prayed over her mother who was also present. She was also very moved. Linda died a few weeks later. My brother and Linda's mother still occasionally mention this visit. I am not surprised.

Linda was a wounded neighbor by the side of the road. Deacon Steve did not even know her. But he knew she was a neighbor in need of help. He spent a whole afternoon loving his neighbor whom he had never met-- just a stranger in need of help.

Deacon Steve, you have indeed served us well and loved us with the love of Christ. May God bless you, your family, and all of your work. You can read some of Deacon Steve's wisdom at his blog, I Am Not Ashamed Of The Gospel.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Beautiful Good Samaritan...God be with him always!

Elena LaVictoire said...

What a touching story! Thanks for introducing us to Deacon Steve's blog!

Rosemary said...

Yes, Suzanne. Amen.
Elena, you're welcome and thanks for visiting my blog...

Anonymous said...

Rosemary, Elena and Suzanne,
You are all very kind.
You have the power to change the world, grow the Kingdom and win others for the Lord.
Blessings +
Dcn. Steve