Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Monday

"Stripped on Holy Thursday to wash the apostles' feet, stripped on Good Friday to hang upon the cross, Jesus risen and triumphant is clothed in the light of glory, before which no enemy can stand, not even the roaring waters of chaos and death."

from "Magnificat"

Perhaps I shouldn't be blogging yet. I just wrote in the comments section of someone's post the words, "Merry Christmas." ROFL I'm not kidding. I really did. Fortunately, I noticed before I published it. I was almost dismissed from everyone's blogroll as a true nut case. LOL May I always respond with kindness to people in every situation who may just "say the wrong thing."

I had a peaceful Easter Sunday. It seemed a grace-filled day. My brother, no longer a practicing Catholic, came to the Easter vigil with us and so did my daughter's Protestant boyfriend. There was an additional sweetness for us because of their presence. The vigil itself is always a taste of heaven. You know what I mean. Heartfelt congratulations to Amber and Angie on their entry into the church!!!!

For the first time on Easter Sunday our family served dinner at a nearby soup kitchen. We had an early dinner in the afternoon ourselves. It was simple but tasty and very peaceful. Then we went to feed Jesus in the "distressing disguise of the poor." It was a-- I'm searching for a good word to describe it (this not being the best day for me to come up with the right words. :-)
None of my children complained. My high schoolers had to complete some service hours and we had been thinking of doing this for some time anyway.

What a feeling it was as I worked on the table of drinks on the other side of the room to look over and see five of my children at the food line, serving heaping helpings of food on the plates of really hungry people. They were smiling, talking, and laughing. They looked just beautiful as they reached out respectfully and kindly to these very vulnerable children of God.

There was just a wonderful sweetness to this experience. I don't think any of us felt deprived by spending a few hours on Easter in this way. The sense of peace that followed was so gentle. There was no bickering, no stress, on the way home. There was a presence of love and of unity in our family. I think we will do this again.

10 comments:

Colleen said...

It sounds like a lovely Easter.

Actually, as we were leaving the Vigil, another parishioner commented to me that this cold spell (we're Midwest, but I understand we're not the only ones) makes it seem more Christmas than Easter! Maybe THAT'S where your brain was? :-)

Mimi said...

Christ is Risen!

What a lovely Easter day you had.

Suzanne said...

Oh, I am sure God was so pleased!
I wish now we had done something like this. Easter Vigil was wonderful with my son in love entering! I am thankful and happy.
Still Easter Sunday was rather hectic with some nasty attitudes and crazy conversation...maybe I will be more sensible and plan better as you did next time. Thanks for sharing with us! God bless ya'll again!

Rosemary said...

Catholic Wife, my husband said the same thing. The weather may have caused the slip. (I asked him because I thought I might seriously be losing my mind.
Mimi, he is risen indeed! Thank you.
Suzanne,glad the vigil was wonderful. Yeah, we get some attitudes and crazy conversations sometimes too. I think it's just life on earth, you know.

FloridaWife said...

That's so nice! What a neat thing to go to a soup kitchen and feed the hungry!

EC Gefroh said...

Happy Easter Rosemary.

BJ said...

Hi! I thought you and your readers might be interested in some post-Easter news about Pope Benedict XVI...
The Pope's car is being auctioned off to raise money for Habitat for Humanity:
www.buyacarvideos.com/popecar.htm
The bidding is already more than $200,000! Personally, I think this is a really fun and creative way to raise
money. The auction goes until April 14th if you and your readers want to check it out.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Happy Easter and thank you so much for the welcome into the Church! :)

a thorn in the pew said...

How did they take the Mass(those not practicing?) I have a relative who has recently fallen away that is close to me and it is painful. It is so hard to understand when I see the turth so clearly. Glad you had a wonderful day!

Rosemary said...

My brother didn't stay the whole time but he seemed interested in what was happening while he was there. My daughter's boyfriend commented that it was long but he stayed the whole time. I think I just need to stand back and let God do his work.