Saturday, December 16, 2006

No cash, no credit cards, Yikes!

I had a nice trip to Notre Dame. No one else wanted to make the six hour round trip for just an hour or two at ND. So I had a quiet peaceful ride by myself until.... my daughter called to tell me that I had left my wallet on the stairs.

At first I thought, Oh well, I can charge what I need. Then I realized that my charge cards are in my wallet too, as well as my license. I looked at the gas tank and realized I only had a quarter tank of gas left and no cash or charge card to buy more. I called my husband and we calculated on Mapquest how many more miles I had to go and it seemed the gas would last. Once I arrived at Notre Dame my son could buy the gas.

Then I realized I was going to need two dollars for the Indiana toll! I scrounged around the bottom of my purse and found several dollars in change.

It was strange feeling so vulnerable without any money or credit cards. I take so much for granted.

Anyway, the time spent at ND was wonderful. My son and I lit a candle and said a rosary at the grotto. Then we went to the bookstore and did some Christmas shopping. (I did have my checkbook. Fortunately, they allowed me to use my son's wallet for ID) We have enough Notre Dame fans in the family that we were able to purchase for quite a few people.

Then-- a nice, peaceful, three-hour ride home. My firstborn and I had great uninterrupted conversation time.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

God took very good care of you, didn't He, Rosemary?! I love this story...it takes a bit of Faith and Courage not to lose your cool and fret, doesn't it at a time like that. I didn't know you had a son at Notre Dame. I have only been there one very short visit and really did not get to see much. One day I'll try to get back up there and take a good look around! I know, I know...I am from Indiana! Ha! Still, it is quite a way for us to go...we are 50 miles or so south of Indianapolis!
Anyway, glad you had a nice visit with him! :) Suzanne

Rosemary said...

Thank you, Suzanne,yes, I did need to try very hard to stay calm. My husband reassured me that if worst came to worst he would just come the hundred miles or so to get me.
Yes, you should definitely get to Notre Dame sometime. It is a very special place. I do feel that Our Lady's hand is very much on the school. There is a special grace about it. (I lived in Fort Wayne for 8 years as a child and only went to ND for the first time when my son started there.)smile

EC Gefroh said...

I have nightmares like that Rosemary. Nice to see trust in God put in action.

Mimi said...

Wow! How lovely to have your checkbook, I'd have left that at home too.

Glad you had a wonderful trip, it sounds really nice!