Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How ready are you?

Today someone said to me that she has almost all the Christmas presents wrapped. Wrapped!! She said this with a little tension in her voice, as though she thought she was cutting things pretty close. OK. Want to know what I have done? Almost nothing!!

I have a couple gifts for my children (not a couple for each, just a couple total) and two presents (chew things) for the dog! I know I have had a lot on my plate and clearly would naturally be behind this year, but I have never, ever had nearly all the presents wrapped two weeks before Christmas. Most of my wrapping happens Christmas Eve after the kids are in bed. Now that's down to the wire. I'm proud of myself if I get maybe a third of the wrapping done before Christmas Eve.

I wonder what it's like to be as organized as this friend of mine. I'm just not there. I think if I tried to be I'd end up being mean to a lot of people in the process. (Although she is as sweet as she can be.) It's kind of like my house cleaning. Years ago I realized that the cleaner my house was the meaner I was to my kids. I decided the kids were more important and my house has been messy ever since. LOL

I hope you all have the level of organization you need to be peaceful. God bless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Join the club! I still have stuff to buy!

PEACE BE YOURS!
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Denise said...

I have done far less than I have in previous years and feel so far behind. However,I am going to follow the advice of our pastor from a few years ago: around December 18 just let it go. No more cards, decorations, etc. If it isn't done by then, it isn't going to get done. Just concentrate on preparing for Christ. What a concept!

Glad to see you are back to blogging. We missed you! You've been in my prayers.

Mimi said...

We are flying somewhere for Christmas, so we have to wrap once we get there.

You've had a huge amount on your plate, and you still have plenty of time. In my book anyway.

ukok said...

Rosemary, you've had a lot to deal with so it's understandable that you're a bit 'behind' with the prezzie buying :-) Even when I think I have it as worked out as it all can be I then remember when the shops are closed on Christmas Eve, all the many things I was trying to remember I couldn't manage without...like batteries for the kid's toys etc!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rosemary! I also am still in the early stages of Christmas prep, so you are not alone, by far! I try not to get glum about all of the gift-buying for adults in the family (who already buy what they want throughout the year anyway)...would just enjoy time together as family without the exchange of adult names for gifts. Simple and meaningful, watching the kids and visiting/playing cards or something. My opinion on that is not very popular in the family, though! LOL

I like what catholicmom's pastor suggested. That gives a week to just concentrate on preparing for Christ. Thanks for sharing that!

Oh, I do have a (very neglected) blog. Maybe someday I'll get up the courage to link it! Yours makes mine look very lame. :-)

Have a blessed Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

I'm usually done with wrapping before Christmas Eve, but that's because I schedule a whole day for it. I am almost obsessively organized (I've had my Thanksgiving dinner shopping list computerized for ten years!) but that doesn't mean I stress less, OR get crabby less. It's just that if I didn't organize, I'd be a total basket case, and have NO ability to prepare for the Reason as well as for the season!

Rosemary said...

OK, I guess I'm not the only one. Thank you for the encouragement. Salome ellen, I like that-- a computerized shopping list for Thanksgiving dinner. Anything that helps to simplify my life seems like a good idea to me.