Sunday, November 26, 2006

What a difference a day makes...

Yesterday my father said he wanted all the tubes removed and that he wanted to die. This was in the morning. As the day went on we talked to him again about the future and he wasn't so clear. He even said that, yes, he wanted to die, but then added "for now..." This assessing of a desire to live on the part of a person on life support is very difficult. Anyone who feels awful might say "I want to die" and really mean it at that moment, but only because their judgment is clouded by the suffering or depression of the moment. We finally decided that Dad was having mixed feelings, was certainly down, and that he wasn't thinking clearly enough to be making life and death decisions. It was a very scary time.

I think it's very important that very ill and debilitated people like my father understand and be told that their life still has value. I told him that his life was still very precious to me even on the ventilator. I told him that his life still had value and that everybody who loves him still thinks so. I gave him some examples too of how he could still enjoy his grandchildren even in his condition-- we could still watch football games together and he could still hear them play music. Then I added that "that being said, I don't know what it feels like to be in your condition and you are under no obligation to continue to fight and to stay on the ventilator. If you want to give up, we'll support you. Just know that your life is still valuable." something to that effect. I think when a person is suffering that much, if they are not reminded of the value with which others regard their life, it would be very easy to decide it would just be better for everybody for them to just die.

So... the good news...today he was much better. He smiled a lot and said (mouthed) some funny things. For the last two days he has been on minimal assist (cpap) from the ventilator all day long and just on full assist at night to give him a rest. When he heard that he mouthed, "better than I thought." Today I asked the nurse how she thought he was doing. She said he's doing fine. I asked if she though he was improving and she said unequivocally "yes, but he has a long way to go." I asked if he was making small incremental steps in the right direction and she said he definitely was. I went in to my dad's room and told him exactly what she had said and he put a fist in the air (like a gesture of triumph).

This is not to say that there might not come a day when it is clear that my father will not recover and he might decide he wants the vent turned off. But I do believe that suffering is redemptive and that all human life is valuable and purposeful. I wonder how many times people have been pulled off "life support" because they were having a bad day or because no one told them that all life has meaning, even and maybe especially, life in a state of debilitation.

Thank you all for your prayers and kind words. I have no doubt of their effect and I thank God for all of you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rosemary,

I am a Catholic writer/author working with a well known publisher on a project and would like to speak with you about the possiblity of using something you wrote in an upcoming book. Please click on my *email me* page at this address if you might be willing to talk with me. thanks and God bless. Theresa Thomas

http://theresathomas.typepad.com/about.html

My blog is here if you would like to check my credentials:

http://theresathomas.typepad.com/about.html

Michelle said...

Oh Rosemary,

I'm continuing to pray for you all on this difficult path. I hope you're able to discern the right course of action at each junction in the road.

Kate said...

Your father is fortunate to have famimly around him at this time, to let him know how precious and valued he is. God help all those who are depressed and facing trials without such support!

I don't comment much, but I've been following this journey on your blog, and you and your family are in our prayers.

Kate & Liam

Anonymous said...

I have gathered an image of your father in my mind as I've read through your posts about him lately. I have nothing to draw from other than your words and my imagination but this - "he put a fist in the air (like a gesture of triumph)." absolutely fits with the image of him in my mind!

there is most definitely still meaning and purpose to his life!

Enjoy the days you do have with your father -

Anonymous said...

Alot can happen even in an hour!

God be close to you at this time

Every blessing
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Finally figured out that Bloglines hadn't been updating properly so I caught up on like a week here....I have continued to pray for your dad & you, and am happy to see the good news you posted here. May you all be given the strength for whatever will happen.

Renee said...

Oh, Rosemary, your dad is so lucky to have you by his side at this time. You are truly showing Christ to him. Many prayers and blessings to you and your entire family.

Mimi said...

Oh my dear, you are such an amazing person and I'm so glad you are with your dear father.

Prayers continue.

Anonymous said...

Rosemary, Still trying to get a hold of you. Please email me. I've tried to email you via your ABOUT page, but it hasn't worked for me. God bless.

thomasfamily10 at msn dot com

thanks!!
Theresa