Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Dad is gone.

Yesterday my father left us.

He was doing fine. He had been completely off the ventilator on Monday and had done well. There were plans to transfer him to a vent rehab type facility in Ann Arbor. His spirits were OK. He was ready to try the transfer and the paperwork was in the works. Respirator therapy had planned two periods of being off the ventilator on Tuesday.

On Monday night when I said good-bye he asked if I would be there in the morning. I said I couldn't make it until the afternoon but that I would see him then. He said, "I hope so." Those words echoed a little in my mind and I hoped that something unexpected wasn't about to happen.

On Tuesday morning I got a call from the hospital saying they were performing CPR. By the time I got there he was gone. The nurse said, "Something sudden must have happened." He had talked to her ten minutes before. The doctor said he was "shocked." It was not that he wasn't really very ill. It's just that there were no indications he was near the end. His heart stopped. Perhaps it had reached its physical limit.

My daughter was at the hospital about 5 minutes after I arrived. We said the Chaplet of Divine Mercy and then the glorious mysterious of the rosary. My brother arrived shortly after that. We stayed for hours with him in the room. It was just hard to leave. I had sat there for so many days and I just didn't want to leave him.

I'll write more about this later. It's hard to write through the tears.

For those of you nearby.....His name is Richard Bailhe. Visitation is at Lynch & Sons in Troy, Michigan from 2 to 9 on Thursday. The funeral is at St. Thomas More Church in Troy at 10:00 on Friday. Thank you for keeping us in your prayers!!

20 comments:

Mrs Marcos said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.

Michelle said...

Rosemary, I am so very sorry.

Anonymous said...

((Hugs)) I'm so sorry, Rosemary. Will continue praying for your family.

Kate said...

Your father and your family are in our prayers.

Denise said...

Rosemary, your family and your father are in my prayers.My heart goes out to you during this time of grief. May you find solace in Christ.--Denise

Mimi said...

Rosemary, it is through tears that I type my note. May God hold you and your family in his hand during this time of sorrow and grief, and may your dear Father's Memory be Eternal.

Hugs and love.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Please know that you and your family are in my prayers at this time, that God may comfort you in your time of sorrow. Your father, as well, is in my prayers. May God grant him eternal rest, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

Colleen said...

You are in my prayers, as well. I will be with you in spirit at the wake and during the funeral.

God Bless.

EC Gefroh said...

Rosemary, I am very sadden by this news. I am praying for your dear dad's repose and for comfort for you and your family.
God bless,

Mom of boys said...

Your father and your family are in our prayers!

ukok said...

Rosmary, I am so very sorry for your loss. I pray that God will give you and all who mourn your father's passing, comfort and peace and I pray that God will grant your dear dad eternal rest.

I so wish I could hug you right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

(((hug)))

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. God be close to you.

In Jesus
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Rose, my prayers are with you and your family. He was truly blest to have such a loving daughter.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and may perptual light shine upon him.

Ruthann

Renee said...

O my ~ I am so sorry that you are suffering such a loss. May Our Lord strengthen you at this time, and hold you tenderly as you grieve. May your dad's memory be eternal! I am crying with you now, Rosemary, and will hold you in prayer. Love, Renee

Cathy said...

Rosemary (((hugs)))

I am praying for you, your family, and your father. God bless you and keep you and may God grant him eternal rest, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

Rosemary said...

I thank you all so much for your prayers and your condolences. They mean so much to me. God is sustaining me. God bless you all.

Suzanne said...

Hello, Rosemary...
I am so sorry for your loss. I know your father must be in peace now, however, it is difficult for you.
I lost my father a few years ago and my mother a couple of years before that, but I believe that they are in heaven.
I connect with them in conversation still and I can almost feel their closeness to me more than I could sometimes when they were alive. I can tell you this and it helps. In time you will see if you have not already begun to experience it. God be with you and I'm around if you need a friend to just converse with also.

ukok said...

I'm so sorry that I haven't been back over to you since last week, please know that you are in my prayers, I'm so glad to read that the Lord is sustaining you

(((hug)))

Lori said...

Rosemary, I am so very sorry!! (((hugs))) May he rest eternally with God.

I will pray for you and your family.

Rosemary said...

Thank you, Suzanne, Ukok, and Lori. I am so grateful for the prayers and support of you all, my blogging friends.