Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Back on the vent after a 15 hour reprieve

Yesterday they tried my dad off the ventilator again and he did fine for 15 hours. Then his blood gases started looking bad, even dangerous, and they had to put him back on. It was a great disappointment again, but I knew it was a possibility. They're very concerned about his very weak cough.

So... now we're facing the decision with him of having a tracheotomy or, basically, giving up. He does not, fortunately, seem interested in giving up but I'm not sure he understands the gravity of his situation.

Tomorrow we have a family conference with all the doctors involved-- cardiologist, neurologist, rheumatologist, attending, and pulmonologist. The problem is they do not have a diagnosis!! They really don't know why he can't breathe. And without a diagnosis there is no prognosis and no way to realistically approach the prospects of his future health.

Oh Lord, please enlighten these doctors. May the right ideas come to them. May they understand what they need to do. Please give my father peace and right judgment. And may your most perfect will be accomplished.

Since today would have been my parents' 56th wedding anniversary I ask for my mother's intercession in the situation. I even stopped at her grave on the way to the hospital.

Oh Lord, please give me strength. Please give me wisdom and show me how to be the daughter you want me to be right now. Please keep me going....

5 comments:

Denise said...

Rosemary,

Please know I am saying a special prayer for you this evening. May God give you peace in whatever decisions must be made.

Salome Ellen said...

Rosemary --
Sorry I haven't commented before: my computer did something odd and didn't give me any of your posts after the birthday one until I just got this all at once.
Praying!!

Mimi said...

Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

God be with you all at ths time!

God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Rosemary said...

Thank you all so much for your prayers. I can feel them powerfully.