Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Thomas Dubay on ego-centrism

In "Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer Thomas Dubay says the following on ego-centrism:

I-ism turns up frequently in dishonest speech. Exaggerations,
caricatures, and plain lies occur to enhance the vanity and self-image of the
conversationalist. Domination in a meeting or in ordinary chatting can
serve the same purpose: my experience, my stories, my ideas, are more
interesting and important than yours, and so it is right that I go on at
length, perhaps even interrupting what you have to contribute.


At least in a blog you can't interrupt anyone. (smile) Something for me to think about.

4 comments:

ukok said...

So glad I can get to your blog this morning, I tried last night and blogger was acting up for me :-(.

This post has certainly gievn me food for thought!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Thank you for that quote--something I needed to hear.

Suzanne said...

I get so excited sometimes to get out with my galfriends or just because I have something exciting to say, that I interrupt to "add" this or that...like this comment. I have two friends that I group with about our Faith and life and things and one has literally called me down .. in a most loving way before.
At first, I was a little hurt, but then, down deep I knew...I just knew that I had acted immaturely and that she gets out more often, so perhaps she doesn't "need" the excitement that I seemed to be thirsting for sometimes on those mornings. At any rate, that was a few years ago and I am STILL working on myself, but now it is also quite a funny joke between the three of us...we all have odd quirks and now we all laugh about each one of them. So, this was a good one for me. (I left you a comment on my blog...the one about the beach). May you have a beautiful day!

Renee said...

Ewww, I think I do this alot. I am noticing this more and more and ICK. I wish I could keep my mount shut more.