Wednesday, January 18, 2017


Today would have been my father's 92nd birthday. He left this world just over 10 years ago. Doesn't seem nearly that long.

This photo, taken just months before my father's death, was at Lorien, a group of cabins in Alpena, Michigan, where my father vacationed for many years with our whole family. He loved it there, soaking up the time with his children and grandchildren. Although he had great trouble going up stairs, he went every day that week to St. Anne's Church where my son John had received permission to play the piano. He sat for several hours in the wooden pew, listening to John practice. Needless to say, hearing John play was one of my father's favorite things to do. I remain grateful to St. Anne's for affording him this great pleasure in the last months of his life.

How my father would love to be at John's concert tomorrow night at Eastern Michigan University, Pease Auditorium where he will play the following:

Sonata in Eb Major, Op. 81a, Ludwig van Beethoven
English Suite in A minor, JS Bach
Toccata Op 40, Robert Casadesus

 Improvisation
Das Geistershiff, Op 1c, Carl Tausig
Sonata No 2 in Bb minor, Sergei Rachmaninoff, edited by Vladmir Horowitz


I pray that Dad will be there just beyond the veil between Heaven and Earth. (Concert is free and starts at 7:30 if anyone else is interested.)

Eternal rest grant unto my dad, Oh Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him May he rest in peace.

No comments: