Thursday, January 27, 2011

March for Life Pix


My dear friend Nan who lives in Arlington, Virginia, for several years now has opened her home to us when my daughters and I come for the March for Life. This year, since the March was on Monday, we had the weekend to spend time sightseeing and visiting with her and her family.

Here we are at a cupcake shop in D.C., across from the National Portrait Gallery. The cupcakes were yummy! ( I was taking the picture.)

We visited Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington . What an amazing leader he was!

The night before the March Nan's living room turned into an artist studio as the girls and I made our signs...
We had wait list tickets for the Youth Rally and Mass and were blessed to be able to get in. There were many bishops and hundreds of priests concelebrating the Mass. It was very inspiring. A message was read by a bishop from the Holy Father.
We managed to figure out our subway route. (quite simple, actually :-)
And here we were at the end of the March. I had tried to contact my good friend Sally from Ann Arbor who was at the March with her family. Shortly after this picture was taken we "accidentally" ran into each other. It was so much fun. Sally and I are always discussing politics and there we were together in front of the U.S. Capital.
Here at Nan's kitchen table I was reminded of the verse from the Canticle of Zachariah.
"In the tender compassion of our God,
the dawn from on high shall break upon us,
to shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death,
and to guide our feet unto the way of Peace."

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Glad everyone had a good gathering in D.C. Two of our daughters went with about 10 other college students and a former IU student who graduated from here and was one of our Youth Ministers, went back to where she lives near D.C. and her parents put all of these kids up in their big ol house and fed them several meals. It was very charitable!

Rosemary said...

How nice of them to put all the kids up and feed them. What a blessing--for both I imagine. Hope all is well with you, Suzanne. I'm trying to get back to my blogging :-)