Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI in America

I have been so awed by the television coverage of our Holy Father's visit here.  Secular station Fox News has been not only been fair but really positive.  They are getting the message.  They are characterizing his speeches correctly.  They are not saying anything negative nor are they making any false or unfair statements about Catholicism.  

I'm watching Shepard Smith's coverage of the pope's visit to Ground Zero as well as the preludes to the Mass at Yankee stadium.  (I'm watching my recorded coverage.)  Shepard Smith has been so reverent, so clearly moved, I thought he must be a Catholic.  But he just said that he is not.  I'm going to predict that some day he will be.  He seems drawn to the Holy Father.  He's calling him the "Holy Father."  He has had nothing but glowingly positive comments about Benedict XIV.  He just said that the weather has improved so much since this morning.  He said "the heavens" just opened up and it's become a perfect day for an outdoor Mass.  God bless this respectful secular journalist Shepard Smith.  May the Holy Spirit continue to move him and draw him to the fullness of the truth.

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Just a quick hi from the Midwest. I noticed that you've visited my blog a few times...Welcome! Your posts are informative and insightful.

Apparently, you're living in my old stomping grounds in the East Bay. I miss some aspects of living in California but I'm a full fledged Midwesterner at this point! God bless you and your family!

Leigh
themommymemoir.blogspot.com

catholicandgop said...

My Mom actually preferred the coverage on Fox News to that of EWTN a lot of the time.

Rosemary said...

Leigh, I'm in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Thanks for coming by. Cath. and GOP, I didn't even look at EWTN since I was enjoying Fox. That's interesting about your mom.

Mimi said...

I thought the media did a pretty good job as well. I don't watch TV news, so I'm going on print stuff, though.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I have to say that the news stories I saw on our local CBS and FOX stations were very positive, enthusiastic and even reverent. Impressive!