Sunday, April 27, 2008

Catholic Mass Music

I did mention a few posts ago that I thought some of the music at the PAPAL Mass in Washington sounded like it belonged in a nightclub.  Some have commented that the music at that Mass reflected the diversity of liturgical music at American Catholic Masses.  Since I nearly always attend Mass at my own Catholic Church I thought hmmmm, maybe my knowledge of American liturgical music is limited.

Yesterday, I attended Mass in a different city.  The music was led by a clearly very talented pianist playing a Steinway grand piano.   Much of the music was good music and clearly focused toward the Lord.  But there was something troubling about it.  There was a lot of jazzed up, improv-type embellishment to the melody.  It was actually very lovely.  But it did not feel reverent.  I can appreciate a lot of different kinds of music.  It was not that this music was not my cup of tea.  It did have a sound that seemed more typical for a nightclub than a church.  Had someone jumped up and done a tap dance or a soft shoe kind of dance routine in front of the altar, it would not have seemed MUSICALLY inappropriate with this kind of music as the backdrop.  That's the problem.  

Although it was pretty music, and even though the lyrics were reverent and directed toward God, it somehow seemed to trivialize what was happening at the Mass.  The gravity, the enormous beauty, the unfathomable miracle that occurs in the Mass requires music that is similarly serious.  I think that seriousness can be expressed in different styles of music.  I am not one that thinks reverence can't be expressed with a guitar.  But if the effect of the music is more that your toes feel like tapping than that your soul is turned lovingly toward your creator, then, in my opinion, the purpose of the music in that liturgy has been lost.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Do you ever hear music at CtK that strikes you the same way? For the most part I think R. does a great job of bringing in a variety of styles very reverently, but occasionally some song would be sung or played that just made me wince. (I think they were mostly old 'community' songs to be fair, since about half the congregation would get even more animated at the same time as I was putting down my hymnal having given up on singing).

Beck said...

Modern hymns DO lack solemnity - I totally agree.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly agree with you, Rosemary...we have a marvellous organist and cantor (the same man is both), but when he does these long drawn out (the 39 Steps movie type thing)pieces of music it drives me nuts...because the focus is then on him and his skill, rather than on God.

I think we sometimes forget where we are when we go to Mass, and that's sad :-(

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I do play guitar at church and I work hard to make sure that I do so reverently.
However, I don't often get to choose the music, so sometimes I have little to work with. There are songs that sound like they belong in Broadway shows. There are "power ballads." And then there are true hymns, where the singers and listeners are really lifted up in praising God.

Rosemary said...

Barb, I know, sometimes the musician's hands are tied. I do think there is reverent contemporary music that can be led with a guitar. I have no doubt YOU do it reverently.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the sorta lightly jazzy way. It is distracting, esp. for those of us who enjoy different types of music and I actually enjoy jazzy music in the right place, so it is frustrating in the Mass. Anyway, another thing that still bothers me..is having the musicians and singers up front...it really isn't necessary and would help me to concentrate more on the Mass if everyone was "behind" us. For a long time I didn't think about it, but in reality, I catch myself looking over at the music folks and it takes my paying attention to the Mass and priest...period. So, I know some churches are putting the choir back in the choir loft and everyone else involved in the music ministry. I think that is a good idea. Now, having said that, it would be fine to have the musicians or cantor to "practice" up front before Mass with the congregation for hymns that are infrequently used, etc. Anyone agree?
Good post. Suzanne
PS Can't agree with you more on the post about the hideous new video game. Lord, have mercy!