Saturday, December 08, 2007

It's Merry Christmas, OK?

I am very happy that so many organizations are drawing attention to the fact that retail stores that will not use the word "Christmas" in their advertising are being silly at best and discriminating against Christians at worst.

What is the big deal? It's a national holiday. The national holiday has a name and it's name is CHRISTMAS!! It's because of Christmas that trees are purchased and decorated. The gifts that are purchased at this, the retailers' busiest time of year, are Christmas presents. That's what they are called. Yes, some are Hanukkah presents, but the vast majority of them are Christmas presents! And the Jewish people understand full well that the national holiday that falls on December 25 is called Christmas.

Somehow, I don't think this treatment of the word "Christmas" as taboo is really about respect for diversity. I think it's about not saying the name "Christ" even hidden in a word where the phonology camouflages it. Let's not forget that there is an unseen spiritual battle going on all around us. The name above all names, Jesus Christ, is very powerful. I think it is the evil one's intent to so confuse people about tolerance that they think they should not say Christmas. I don't know. Just a thought. The whole refusal to say it is just so absurd.

This is the Christmas Season!! Why don't the retailers get over it??!!??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose!

So I have to forward to you this excellent piece written by Ben Stein(I think that's his name, Ferris Bueller fame). He happens to be Jewish and offers his positive, thought-provoking, affirmative pro-Christmas thoughts on this subject.

Rosemary said...

Mary, I love it. I may post it on this blog. What a great piece. Says it all, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

You are so right, Rosemary. I wholeheartedly agree with you on this post!

Rosemary said...

Thanks, Alexa. (I love it when people agree with me:-)