Friday, November 23, 2007

Sharing Recipes

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving. We certainly did. All of our children were home and well-loved pastor Fr. Ed joined us for dinner.

Good friend Mary O. made an interesting comment on my last post about a lost family recipe. My youngest girls were horrified that I shared on my blog my mom's "Frost on the Pumpkin" recipe which they described as "a secret family recipe." I told them it was not secret and that I was sure my mom did not even invent it. It's just a special dessert that we've had on Christmas and Thanksgiving for many years. Why not share it?

My mother did not keep this recipe a secret. But I had never written it down, or if I had I somehow lost it over the years, my not being the most organized or tidy of homemakers. For a number of years I tried to reconstruct it, knowing the ingredient list was pretty simple and remembering most of it. But I never got it quite right. Finally I thought to look through my mother's old recipe books and see if I could find it.

I found a treasure of a recipe collection-- a little book of recipes one of my teachers at St. John the Baptist Catholic School in Fort Wayne, Indiana had assembled. The cover, now lost, had been a piece of construction paper decorated with a design made from a "potato stamp" I had cut from a potato. Anyone remember that art project? The pages were printed with those purple mimeograph pages. (right terminology?) The inside cover had a letter from me to my mom in the painstakingly neat cursive the nuns required. In it I apologized for the "not so hot" cover, expressed the hope that she liked the cookbook, and indicated that her recipe was on page 2. And there it was!!!! "Frost on the Pumpkin by Mrs. Richard Bailhe."

I immediately recognized the missing ingredient. I think it was the ginger. We always knew there was something of a bite missing from the reconstructed recipe.

Anyway, recipes need to be shared and recorded!! The three family recipes I made yesterday were all lost at one time. (Like I said, I am not a very organized or tidy homemaker.) Maybe I'll tell the story of how each was recovered in future posts. :-) God is good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,

What a great story! 'Can't wait to hear the other tales =0).

In moments like those when you rediscovered this recipe, doesn't it feel like your mom is still looking out for you? Those "Heaven-meets-earth moments", when time and space disappear and you are the little girl making the recipe book cover for your mom,smelling the purple mimeograph paper, writing the letter and enjoying "Frost on the Pumpkin"....but now with your new family. LOVE it!

And then when the rest of us make it for our families and people delight in it, we can tell them about Helen Bailhe, the mystery ingredient rediscovered~ and she will live on.

Yes God is good...and so is Notre Dame =0)

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Glad you found your treasured recipe. I know I am always happy when I am asked to share a recipe. It's a compliment, I think. Read why:
http://sfomom.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking.html

Anonymous said...

My mom passed away about two years ago and going through her "recipe box" always makes me feel closer to her.

Rosemary said...

Mary, well said. It does make her memory live on.
Barb, I did read why. And you're right it is indeed a compliment. And... after all, allowing others an opportunity to enjoy a recipe does not in any way diminish my ability to also enjoy it with my family.
Terry, yes, there is something so personal about food... the association with nurturing, etc.

Salome Ellen said...

My mom, the just-adequate cook (all my family recipes are my grandmother's)and school teacher,once explained to me about the difference between a mimeograph and a hectograph. I think the purple letters are hectogrph, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why! :-D