Thursday, November 29, 2007

My dad's car


This is my Dad's Lincoln Town Car. My dad loved cars. He could tell you what he was driving in what year, from the time he had a license, I think. Most of those cars were Lincolns. He could also identify the year and model of nearly every car you saw on the road. This was the car he was driving when he went into the hospital for the last time.
My dad always took great care of his cars. He was very particular about them. I remember when I was a very young driver, because of people needing to be in various places, there was going to be a need for me to drive my dad's car. I had never driven his car before. I remember telling him, "I don't know if I can drive your car.." He looked at me surprised and said, "You know how to drive a car. Why wouldn't you be able to drive my car?" I said, "OK. I guess I can." I remember appreciating his vote of confidence and thinking if my dad thinks I can, I'm sure I can.
I'm going to keep his car. At first I felt a little self-conscious about it. I would never buy such a luxurious car. I have six kids and I'm a stay-at-home mom, for heaven's sakes. I noticed I was getting some unusual looks when I drove it. We put it in the paper to sell it and I realized... I can't sell my dad's car! He loved it so much that I associate it very much with memories of him. Besides, didn't he say "You can drive my car."? People can think what they will. I'm going to drive it. And my kids still call it "grandpa's car."
And it's soooooo comfy. I love it.

10 comments:

Mimi said...

Men - I know so many of them who can recall the minute details of every car they drove.

Grinning at you driving around in your father's car, I am pretty sure he'd be happy about that!

Denise said...

Just two days ago I was driving around in my parents' car, a 1997 Lincoln Town Car. They drove in from Texas and my husband needed to use my car so my mother and I did our shopping in her car. My father loves his car. He calls it a classic. I think the primary reason he loves it is that he can drive his golf foursome to the course and all four golf bags fit in the huge trunk. In any case, today I watched my parents back out of the driveway and head for Texas thinking how much I identify that car with their visits.

Anonymous said...

When I first saw you in that fabulous car, not knowing it was your Dad's, I thought, "Whoohoo! It's awesome that the Super Mom who has raised/is raising six glorious children has a well-deserved luxury! Own it sister! No apologies or cares about what anyone may think. Like me, they're probably clapping, anyway
=0).

My Dad's only luxury was the car he drove. I took my driver's test in a Cadillac, my date drove Dad's Lincoln Town Car to our prom and he handed over the keys to the Jaguar with out a thought. When my younger sister and I crashed that brand new car(different, beautiful cars...her once and me once), all he cared about was that we were safe. "I can replace the car, but not you." Wow! Every girl should have a Dad like mine...and yours =0).

Anonymous said...

What's that song from the Beatles..."Baby you can drive my car!"

Anonymous said...

Rosemary, I posted your saints on my blog. For you - St. Paul! For your son St. Gregory the Great. (is this your musical son????)

We had Mass tonight to close out the Month of Holy Souls and I prayed for your dad. Just wanted you to know.

Rosemary said...

Mimi, I know, men are so funny.

Catholic Mom,yes, I know what you mean. It's so associated with them. My brother even said when he pulls up to our house, for a nanosecond, he thinks,'Oh, Dad must be here.'

Mary, you're so sweet. You do have a great dad too. And thanks for the encouragement. I did get to the point where I realized it would be foolish to make this decision (to keep or not keep it) based on what other people mioght think.

Angela-- LOL, wish I had thought of that. "Baby you can drive my car" That should have been the title of the post. smile. I do like that song too. And thank you so much for choosing our 2008 saints. I happen to be studying the Acts of the Apostles in a Catholic Women's Bible Study group, so I'm learning a lot about Paul. He seems very appropriate for me. Jim is not my pianist son, although he is musical. He's interested in learning more about Saint Gregory the Great.

Rosemary said...

I should tell you all too that this car only had 29,000 miles on it!!! So it was an attractive buy for that reason too. (It has a few more, now that I'm driving it.)

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I'll bet it's SWEET! Your dad would probably be SO happy you kept it. I never had any attachment to any car, but when I see an old, '56 Chevy, I think about my beloved Grandpa and how special we felt when he took us for a ride around town in it.

Rosemary said...

Laura, isn't it funny how when women remember a car it has to do with a relationship but men (some men, anyhow) actually remember the engine, or the tires, or the hubcaps-- they're actually into the car itself. LOL

Rosemary said...

Angela, thank you for praying for my dad. I forgot to say that.