Monday, November 12, 2007

Lay flat to dry.

Does anybody do this? When washing instructions say "lay flat to dry" do you lay it flat to dry?

The only way I have ever done it is on a thick beach towel folded over so the table underneath does not get wet and even then I have to fold the sleeves on top of the body of the sweater. Usually I just hang them on a hanger in the bathroom, but I have wondered if I'm stretching them out by so doing or in any way shortening the life of the item. I have only laid flat to dry the most fragile-seeming and treasured of my tops. (Believe me there aren't very many that fit that category and none right now:-)

Am I missing some simple and effective way to lay a sweater flat to dry? Does anybody really think it's necessary?

6 comments:

Kate said...

I lay flat a couple of sweaters that I've learned from experience are prone to stretching when hung. I usually put a couple of thick towels on the bed and then lay them on the towels. Then I spend the next few hours trying to keep my 2 year old from bouncing on them. If you find a better way, let me know!

Anonymous said...

No! i just shrink everything in the tumble dryer!

Colleen said...

I like to use the flat top of my portable drying rack. The sleeves tend to drape over the sides, but the main body of the garment stays pretty flat.

Too funny, Jackie, you're the first Brit I know who doesn't abhor the tumble dryer! :-) I regret leaving the UK without purchasing one of the large drying racks that are used there. The ones sold in the US are much smaller and less stable.

Denise said...

Unless it is a very expensive sweater, I just dry it on the delicate cycle of the dryer. So far, there hasn't been a problem.

Mimi said...

I throw it over the top of my closet door.

Rosemary said...

Thanks for all the sugestions!