Saturday, November 24, 2007

Helen Bailhe's Stuffed Mushrooms

Stuffed Mushrooms
a recipe of Helen Bailhe's (my mom), may she rest in peace
3 Tbs. minced onions
2Tbs butter
1 garlic clove minced
1/8 tsp salt
1- four and a half ounce can deviled ham
(Underwood)
2 Tbs. parmesan cheese
1 beaten egg yolk
2.5 Tbs. parsley
2 Tbs. Italian style bread crumbs
30 mushroom caps (stems pulled out)
Sautee onions and garlic in butter
Combine rest and add to sautee
Stuff caps.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 min. or until done.
These mushrooms are to die for. They are soooo YUMMY. I usually at least double the recipe. I have even quadrupled it and they are always ALL eaten. Everybody loves them. Again, this is one of my mother's old recipes. Because Underwood Deviled Ham is mentioned by name I suspect it might have been a recipe on the package at one time.
I lost this recipe for a long time. (I don't know why I don't seem to be able to keep track of recipes-- or anything else, for that matter.) Then..... while looking through my recipe books I found it on an old envelope that was postmarked (are you ready?) TWENTY YEARS prior. OK. I now have it safely typed and stored in a folder and,, in about 5 minutes, I will also have it recorded in cyberspace.
These are my very favorite stuffed mushrooms. I have never tasted any better anywhere. I can get my brother to drive over two hours to join us for dinner if I promise to make these mushrooms. Mom, your mushrooms live on!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!! I will be making these for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for this recipe! I love stuffed mushrooms and I can't wait to try these.

For Christmas last year my girls offered to organize all of the recipes that I have cut out of magazines, newspapers, etc. They used double-sided tape to secure the recipes on 8 1/2x11 cardstock, put the cardstock in page protectors, and put the pages in 3-ring binders. Voila! All of my favorite recipes sorted by category in 3 binders. And I can easily add to it, too. It was a great group project we all worked on together. Pat

Rosemary said...

Angela, I hope you like them as much as we do! Does anyone use Underwood Deviled Ham for anything else?
Pat, what a great idea! (Maybe I'll suggest it to my girls...)

Spicy McHaggis said...

I heard tell of tell of stuffed mushrooms with deviled ham. So I searched the interwebs wide. There were other choices but chose this one. Glad that I did. Merry Christmas.

Rosemary said...

Merry Christmas to you too! I'm making them myself tomorrow. Hope you like them!

Scott W. said...

I’ve made these for about forty years or so. Our improvisation is to use shallots, lose the egg and top with breadcrumbs and melted butter before putting in the oven. It has satisfied hundreds of people over the years. Thanks for the memory and kudos to your mom for saving a keeper recipe.