Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Fundraising Requests

What do you do when an organization sends you something along with a fundraising request. I'm thinking specifically of Catholic organizations that, for example, send you a rosary with a request for a donation. I used to just send them a small donation. But lately it's been happening much more frequently. One organization told me the object that had sent had been blessed and would I please let them know that it arrived safely. I finally sent them a small donation and now they have sent a rosary with another request for a donation. I'm sure these are wonderful organizations and they have found that these methods help them bring in more money. I don't want to throw a sacramental away, of course! But I also don't feel like sending money to every group that sends me a rosary, which has become a lot. I'm wondering if it's just my bad attitude that makes me feel a little manipulated by these requests.

7 comments:

Daniel Newville said...

I feel the same way as you do but I have stopped sending money every time. I donate the rosary to a good cause: the school.

Kate said...

A gift is a gift - you didn't ask for it and you don't owe them anything. One sweet lady I talked to when I raised scholarship money over the phone explained to me that they kept all fundraiser mailings in a box, and then once a month they picked one charity to donate to. They stayed on budget, and they never felt like they were abandoning any truly good causes. That certainly seems like a good system!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

It's a gift and you are not obligated to donate unless YOU want to.

If you don't know what to do with those rosaries and other sacramentals, maybe your church has a basket where you can put them so others can use them if they wish. Also, a priest who used to be in our parish, who was from India, would collect them and send them to India for the people from his home parish.

Denise said...

Feel reassured that you are not being hard hearted if you do not donate to every organization that sends you a rosary, medal, prayer book, etc. Give these sacramentals to your parish school or CCD program, a Catholic nursing home, etc. Remember also, these groups definitely sell their lists. Once you donate to one you will be inundated with requests. I donated to a Native American charity and now every Indian reservation is sending me requests for donations. I wonder if these organizations realize they are actually turning off donors with these manipulative tactics.

Colleen said...

We must be on the same mailing lists! LOL! I received two rosaries (the same blue, same beads, same everything) from two different groups within the last week or so.

My mother's (good, faithful) priest gave a homily not long ago about this. He said to choose the charities that mean the most to you and give to them. We cannot possibly give to each request that comes in the mail, no matter how worthy and no matter what they send you.

I agree, Catholic Mom. I think they might turn people off by such tactics.

Jean Heimann said...

I agree with Barb's answer. It is a gift and you are not under any obligation to donate to them unless you really want to. It is not something you ordered.

I donate free items like that to my church or give to those who are needy and can use it.

Rosemary said...

These are great ideas. Daniel, I will leave them in our school chapel. I know longer feel guilty for not giving to everybody. Catholic Wife and mother, the same thing happened here. One blue rosary and then one red rosary in the same packaging from two different organizations in the last week or so. we must REALLY be on the same lists. LOL