Friday, July 21, 2006

Strollers at the Art Fair

Today I went to the Ann Arbor Art Fair. I spent several hours there.

Every year, during the art fair, there are those who complain about the presence of strollers at the art fair. I have always found this puzzling. Well, let me be honest. I have always found these complaints annoying. I think the art fair is a fine place to take your baby or toddler in a stroller. They enjoy the fresh air and all the things to look at.

These complaints are usually about bumping into strollers when the fair gets crowded and also about feet, ankles being bumped by the wheels, etc. There are also complaints about the babies' crying.

At the art fair today I saw many babies in strollers. Most of them were asleep. Those who weren't seemed to be enjoying themselves. I even got part of my sandal run over by a wheel. I survived and guess what? It was no big deal.

It made me wonder about the motives of these complainers. Are they really so selfabsorbed that having to move a little to let a stroller through is an intolerable inconvenience? Later in the day I'm sure I would have occasionally seen a cranky baby. But hot and tired adults are cranky then too. Is a baby crying an intolerably offensive sound? As my mother would say about those who are bothered by babies, "They forget they were young once too."

I hope it is not another example of the insidious attititude so prevalent today-- that no one should have to sacrifice any of their own needs or desires for the young. (Not even the parents.)

Lighten up, Ann Arbor.

No comments: