Friday, July 28, 2006

Jennifer Granholm's online petition

I heard on Teresa Tomeo's radio show, Catholic Connection, that Jennifer Granholm, the governor of Michigan, has placed on the official state of Michigan website an online petition urging state legislators to open the doors to embryonic stem cell research in Michigan. This is on the official publicly funded web site of the state! Can she do this? Can she promote her own political agenda on the official state website? It certainly does not seem right to me.

Does she actually think that pro-lifers in Michigan are some insignificant, minute minority? Michigan has demonstrated over and over again on public referendums that it is a pro-life state.

As a pro-life Michigan Catholic I am doubly offended that our governor, a practicing Catholic, would publicly take this stance and then put it in writing on our state's website. Is the bishop of Lansing watching?

Check it out. www.michigan.gov There is a page on the site for sending a message to the governor. I sent one. If you live in Michigan I suggest you send one too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I was in MI just so I cou,d write her. ergh!

Anonymous said...

Rosemary -- thank you for posting this! It's been passed along and Right to Life of MI is encouraging their members to comment. That should be interesting.
(In case you're wondering who I am, I'm an AMC parent who linked to you from Kate's blog, and a RTL board member in St. Clair County.)

Rosemary said...

Nice to meet you (smile) So glad RTL is encouraging their members to comment. I actually wondered if she could legally do that. It's a publicly funded site, I'm sure. Can the pro-life legislators put a petition on there? Is this a governor's perk? Seems weird to me. And so offensive that she writes as though, of course, everyone would agree with her. Not a pro-life person in the state?? I hope it backfires for her politically.