Friday, November 16, 2018

Memorial of Saint Gertrude the Great

Today is the feast of Saint Gertrude of Helfta. Also known as Saint Gertrude the Great, she was a 13th century German Benedictine.

In this month of All Souls it is particularly appropriate that we remember Saint Gertrude. She was a mystic and experienced many visions. In one such vision she saw souls freed from purgatory ascending to heaven like sparks of light.

In another, Jesus told her, "I accept with highest pleasure what is offered to me for the poor souls, for I long inexpressibly to have near me those for whom I paid so great a price. By the prayers of thy loving soul, I am induced to free a prisoner from purgatory as often as thou dost move thy tongue to utter a word of prayer." From: Mission to Empty Purgatory

Saint Gertrude was also given the prayer recited below that Our Lord said would release 1,000 souls every time it is said with love and devotion.


From Our Catholic Prayers:

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

Saint Gertrude the Great, pray for us and for all our departed family members and loved ones!

No comments: