Monday, July 30, 2018

Things on My Mind...

Today is the first Feast of Blessed Solanus Casey, Detroit's new saint. Thanks be to God.

My post on the beatification of this holy Capuchin can be found on Catholicmom.com HERE.
What an amazing, holy man he was. Blessed Solanus Casey, pray for us. And, in the words of this saint, "We thank God ahead of time."

On a completely different note, my family was able to welcome probably well over a hundred good neighbors to our home yesterday. So many were curious about what on Earth we were constructing throughout the winter that we decided to show them. It was an Open House for three hours. We were able to talk to neighbors we have known for decades, meet new neighbors and discuss our united opposition to a nearby proposed apartment complex. It was very heartwarming to spend time with people with whom we share such a close geographic proximity. There's really no excuse for not doing it more often. We are neighbors!

And on an even more completely different note, I was alarmed by a Wall Street Journal article today entitled "Red Tide Killing Florida's Sea Turtles.

I have to confess that I never really thought much about sea turtles and the warnings on Florida beaches about disturbing them...until my family had the awe inspiring experience of seeing one six years ago. I described that experience in a blog post linked HERE. I will never forget it. It was an amazing creature and I was ashamed to remember the times I had read the warnings about them and responded with a yeah, yeah attitude, if you know what I mean. I had dismissed them as unimportant and maybe even silly. I was dead wrong. These are absolutely amazing creatures and we are responsible for protecting them as apart of God's creation. To be fair, we are responsible for protecting ALL of God's creation, right?

The following is not my video, but it gives you an idea of what a sea turtle looks like returning to the ocean, after laying eggs.



The red tide is an algae bloom that produces toxic chemicals that affect the central nervous systems of the sea turtles. In four Florida counties "since the start of the year, 287 turtles--dead, sick or injured--have been stranded on the beach. That number is double the five year average for the same period."

Good heavens. Let's do all we can to help these creatures and all endangered species in God's creation. It is our responsibility.

God bless your day...

No comments: